Chapter 36

Louis' P.O.V. –

The chromatography project. That was the thing that I was forgetting. Harry is my partner and we're supposed to work together. I have to confront him even if I'm scared to do so. It was necessary to complete the project.

"The project must be completed on time. Sit with your partners and make an outline for the project and complete it later." Mr. Sugarcane said and my classmates started shifting and sitting with their respective partners to discuss the project. My eyes were fixed on the curly haired boy who was sitting on one of the front benches of the classroom but I looked away when he turned around to look at me.

The sound of tapping of fingers on the seat next to me caught my attention and I looked at Harry. He was sitting next to me but I felt scared. Would he hit me like the others did? The bullies hit me but it would be thousand times more painful if Harry did that. It's not easy to admit but I'm scared of the person I love.

"So...the project." His beautiful deep voice said and it provided a strange kind of comfort to my aching heart that was eager to hear this voice. It had been a few days since I heard this voice and it stirred my heart.

"I d-don't know w-what c-chromatography is." I confessed. We have to make the project on this term and I didn't know what the term meant.

He sighed and said, "In simple words, it is the technique of separating the constituents of a mixture."

As soon as he explained the term, I looked away. I bit my lip and hung my head low. I couldn't dare to look into his eyes.

"Look at me." He demanded.

I froze at my place and breathed heavily. I was scared. Why did he want me to look at him? I remained motionless.

"I said look at me." He repeated, raising his voice and I slowly turned to look at him. He was frowning deeply and seemed furious.

He grabbed one of my hands all of a sudden and I visibly flinched at his action. He seemed surprised for a moment but the surprise disappeared quickly. He slipped his other hand into one of his pockets and pulled out a metal thing. He placed the object on the hand and curled my fingers and then withdrew his hand.

I uncurled my fingers to look at the object. My eyes widened and my heart broke for the hundredth time this month when I recognized it. It was the metal bracelet that I had given him. I noticed the 'H & L' inscribed on it and tears welled up in my eyes but I didn't let them fall. I never wanted him to part away with it and now he was returning it.

It was more than a piece of metal for me. It meant a lot to me and it's hard to believe that he returned it.

"I'm waiting." He said and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. What did he mean? What is he waiting for?

I looked at him with a confused frown and teary eyes.

"W-what?" I stuttered out.

"I'm waiting for you to return the necklace." He said.

I was astonished but I nodded gradually. I placed the bracelet in front of me. I moved my hands to my neck and unlocked the necklace and removed it from my neck. I looked at it for one last time and reluctantly placed the necklace on one of his hands. I picked up the bracelet and looked at it with a neutral expression. Before I knew, tears were flowing down my cheeks as I stared at the bracelet blankly. I hardly blinked and I must've appeared creepy to any other person around me.

"You can fake your tears later. For now, tell me will you come at my house this evening for the completion of this project?" he asked.

"Y-yes." I replied. I wasn't faking my tears. Is he too blind to see? Can't he see the pain in my heart? His eyes are covered with misunderstanding. He'll not see my pain but he'll see Mr. Grimshaw.

I doubt if I'll be able to live in such a situation.

Harry's P.O.V. –

I waited for her – I mean him outside the school. I noticed him coming towards me, his gaze on the ground. 'Louise' would hardly look down. This boy hardly looks up. Was he hiding his real personality while he was 'Louise'.?

We walked in silence towards my house but I broke the silence by speaking up, "Did you text your mum that you'll be doing your project at my house?"

He tensed and didn't look up. I couldn't even see his eyes. He swiftly wiped his cheek and I could hear his breathing becoming more erratic. It seemed that he was on the verge of crying.

"S-She...disowned me." He said and my eyes widened. Did his mum disown him? That is so bad and I just asked him the question. It could've hurt him. But why would she do that? Did she do it because he lied? Wait, where does he sleep? Or is he still lying?

"Where do you stay right now?" I asked.

"I live at Niall's b-but his p-parents have r-returned and I won't stay t-there." He said while sniffling. Does it mean he's homeless? But this is the result of his deeds. He was the one who lied in the first place. He was the one who made a dirty plan to seduce his teacher like the dirty slut he is. I was feeling bad for him seconds ago but I recalled what I saw in the classroom. It enraged me.

We reached the house and moved to my room without uttering another word. He opened his chemistry book and I could see that his hands were trembling slightly. He didn't look at me in any case. Was he avoiding me? Was he...scared?

He had started crying and I just didn't like it. I don't want him to cry but I shouldn't feel that.

"Would you stop crying? It's annoying. You've achieved your goal in the English class. You must be celebrating instead of crying like a little baby." I said.

He looked at me momentarily and I could see genuine hurt in his eyes. But why should I care? He didn't. Why should I? I must not be bothered by his tears or looks. He's a good actor. He's a good liar.

He didn't say a word and simply opened his book. I opened my book and started looking for information about the project. I had some material from the internet and we used it to make a useful report.

"I know that you lied about being a girl. But don't you think that the reason of your plan was pathetic? You tried to seduce your teacher." I blurted and immediately regretted my words when I saw fresh tears on his cheeks and hurt in his eyes. Maybe I just don't like the broken look on his face. His expression changed from hurt to furious quickly.

"You don't know the reason Harry. I never did it for Mr. Grimshaw. That's what the others think. That is not the actual reason. You know what, I don't even want to tell you the reason anymore because you won't listen to me or believe me." He said without stuttering and picked up his books and carried his bag out of my room and stormed downstairs, leaving me stunned. I didn't know he could say it all.

He said that it was not the actual reason. Does it mean that he didn't do it seduce Mr. Grimshaw? But I saw them in the classroom. He could be lying. But my heart doesn't agree with it. I think he's telling the truth. He wouldn't be able to say all of this with utter confidence and without stammering if he was lying. If Louis lied about being a girl, Zayn could've lied about his reason.

If this reason was nothing more than a rumor, then it means I've done so wrong by thinking he was a 'slut'. But he's gay, why should I care? But for some unknown reason, I still seem to care.

He didn't want to tell me the actual reason behind his plan.

But I'm determined to find it.