Broken (part II)

Broken.
Nick had cried for 1 hour straight, next to the lifeless body of his mate. He was broken. Until he built enough strength; mentally & physically, to carry Judy in his arms.
The hospital wasn't that far, in fact it was next to ZPD; which was about half a mile from where Judy lived. He remember the directions when Judy and him visited Clawhauser for his monthly diabetes evaluation. At the thought of that, it made Nick somewhat happy. Thinking about how Judy cared for others before herself. How she was sick but still came to work everyday. Brightened Nick whenever he was mad at someone over the smallest thing such as a parking spot. He had known Judy was a keeper, so he made her his.

    Nick ran into the hospital after walking what seemed like forever, half a mile. It was dawn, cold, and dark outside. The hospital was near the slums, but no one was outside. "I need a doctor ASAP!" he yelled at the assistant at the front desk, which she called in for one, but in came a Gazelle, prepped for anything since she was the one in charge of the emergency patients. Her nurses had a bed ready to take Judy into the operation room. They quickly took Judy out of his hand before he could even say a word "could i come?!" he panicked, following the doctor. No response was given, but the receptionist held Nick back.
She lead Nick into the waiting room, and left. It was depressing. Kind of cold in here since it is a hospital, and they had to keep the medicine at a perfect temperature. No one was there, so all he was left with was himself and his thoughts.
    Not a day went by that Nick ever regretted his decisions, but today; that was all he could do. He started drinking since the passing of his best friend Finnick, and the only person there for him was Judy. He treated her with such a cold shoulder. Nothing but bad remarks towards her; but she stayed. Checked up on him still. Encouraged him. That was what she was good at, but somehow to Nick it wasn't enough. Not even Nick knew if he would ever be happy again. Judy tried & tried, and it all led up to today's events. Had Nick stopped her from leaving, maybe this would've never happened. Had Nick followed Judy, he'd take the bullet instead of Judy. The strange part was, Judy knew how to handle the roughest situations with such obligation to. She could fight a rhino off. She wasn't light work, she was a tough one. And Nick was so into her about those things. So his question was, what happened?
      Nick's head hurt from contemplating for a good 3 hours. Until the gazelle came out of surgery; bloody. She showed no emotion, which is why Nick hated going to the hospital; you'll never know what happen until they actually tell you. "Nicholas?" She calmly said. Nick stood up, and looked up at her. "Yes." He said. "Well, it turns out indeed, Judy was shot in the lower shoulder area." She told Nick. "Could you please cut to the chase?" he pleaded, a tear fell down his face. "She'll live." she said. Nick sighed in relief, placing his paws on his face, thinking about what he would say when she wakes up. "But.." She continued, Nick looked into her baby blue eyes. "She will be in an induced coma for about a week.." she looked into his eyes. "Okay." he sighed again. "Could i visit her?" He asked as the gazelle gave a worried look, she was about to say something until Nick interrupted her "look, last time i saw her, i yelled at her. May i please see her." He demanded.
The doctor led him into the emergency room she was in. She opened the door to nothing but silence. If Judy were awake, she'd say a pun. Nick smirked at the thought but then got up close to her. She was in bandages, eyes closed peacefully. "Judy.." he whispered, pulling a chair towards the bed. He held her soft, furry paw.