Chapter 5

Sometimes, it's easy to just enjoy

the moment and savor its pieces than to

succumb to an endless cycle of deafening overthinking.

~ ofwordsandcolours

________

Anna

Phew.

I am so full now.

I can't even remember when was the last time I have eaten so much food as such!

I just wish Cindy is with me to witness how much food I've eaten. I know she'll be so proud of me.

Yes, she wants me to be fat.

"Are you done, Anna?" Mr. Engel comes in.

"Oh, there you are Willy, I'm just about to call you." Mrs. Engel says.

"No need Feliza." He answers back.

"Come here now, dear Anna, if you're already done." Mrs. Engel signals me to sit in front of her table again, and Mr. Engel sits across me.

"Don't worry about the dirty dishes. Someone would come for that. By the way, I'm so glad that you finished them all," she says happily. Well, I can tell that she's pleased about that.

"So, maybe you've been wondering as to why we have called you here." Mr. Engel says. Oh yes, I'm really wondering. But I still myself.

"Dear Anna, don't worry. We have not called you here for some negative matters. In fact, we've called you here to tell you something important. A positive one!" she exclaims. Her face shows that she's excited about what she's going to say.

But I don't think I can be as excited as her, knowing that I'm nervous right now. So, spit it out!

"We're going to raise your wage." Mr. Engel announces. Wait -

"And we'll give you a bonus aside from that, plus this! Look!" Oh, wait - I'm not yet; I still can't believe it.

She hands me a paper bag and an envelope.

"The bonus is inside the envelope. You also have to check what's inside the paper bag." The smile on Mrs. Engel's face is much broader now than a while ago. Mr. Engel is the same. I can't help to smile too.

Immediately, I reach out for whatever thing is inside the paper bag -

"Oh my gosh..."

"Oh yes, dear Anna. What a fabulous dress, right? And there's more to it if you would hear this out." What? What is it?

"Anna, while working as our waitress, you've caught the attention of one of the customers that have happened to dine here in us." Mr. Engel says. So, what about it?

"He's the manager of a famous clothing line here in our country. Well, he is one of the managers, is what I mean. But here in our city, he holds that position." He adds. Wait, so there's that manager of -

"He wants you to be one of the new models that the clothing line company is going to lunch!" Mrs. Engel exclaims. Oh my gosh... Did I hear it wrong?

"Excuse me?" I ask, trying to hear out again what she has said. Maybe I heard it wrong because I'm so busy looking at this beautiful dress in my hands.

"You heard it right, our dear Anna! You're going to be a model!" Oh gosh. Oh gosh...?

Oh gosh!

"H-how? I mean, why me?" I'm trying to sound calmer here. I need to hear everything first.

"Remember what I told you before I agreed on allowing you to be one of my waitresses?" I shake my head as I think of what she has told me at that time.

"What I told you is that that beauty of yours must not be kept behind the doors. It should be put outside, in the spotlight! And I'm right!" Oh... that's what it is. But wait -

"But why did you raise my wage?" I ask them.

"Because you deserve it, Anna." Mr. Engel answers me.

"We've got more customers than usual, it's all because of you, maybe the word has spread about you, and the restaurant comes on the second, they think that our food is so good and delicious!" Mr. Engel is now in glee.

"Oh my gosh..."

"Our dear Anna, we don't know what truly transpired that lead you to decide to change for the better. I mean, yes, you're already beautiful, but you decided to show it out, and I must say, I'm so happy for that and I'm so proud of you," she says as her eyes are becoming wet. Wait, are those tears in her eyes? Is she crying?

"Oh, Mrs. Engel..."

"Anna, we're not going to tell you as to what you should do. We're just going to tell you that we've already talked to that manager and found out everything that is going to happen when you agree to be one of their new models, and I must say, it'll definitely change your life for the better." Mr. Engel said intently to me.

"We don't want you to be gone here in our restaurant. But if it just happened that you'll feel much better on modeling. We won't stop you if you would like to leave us..." Oh, Mrs. Engel, she reaches out and clasps my hand.

"I won't leave you. I won't leave this restaurant. This is my second home. I'm sure that the modeling won't be every day. I'll always be here, as usual, every time." I say to them to assure them that they won't lose me and don't have to be sad about it.

"You don't know how glad we are to hear that from you." Mr. Engel says.

"He's right outside the door, at the dining hall. He's waiting for you at his table. He wants to talk to you already about his offer." Mrs. Engel says as she reaches out for my other hand, holding now both of my hands tighter.

"Go now. You don't have to go back here inside after, so fix your things now. I'm going to do the rest of your watering duties." She adds, smiling brightly.

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Engel!" I give her hands a little squeeze and smile at her.

"Here, take your pay for this week." Mr. Engel gives me another envelope.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Engel." I smile at him, and he pats my head.

"No worries. Go now." He says, and he smiles back. These two old people are really some kind of treasure in this world.

___

As soon as I have gathered all of my things, I straighten my hair as it flows down on my back, put a little gloss on my lips and some powder to freshen me up, then I'm all set.

I know, outside this door, I'm gonna step into something new, and though it's still unknown by me, I gotta have this courage to take the step.

I have decided, so I must launch myself, full steam ahead, and there's no turning back.

Go for it, Anna!

________

A/n: Bonjour! So, from here on, changes in the life of Anna will start to happen. I don't know actually if this work of mine is being read by other people, but anyways, I'm going to continue writing, for I know, sooner, it'll be discovered. :) Just keep fighting. I hope, if you have read this work of mine, please vote or comment so I would know that you readers do exists. Thanks a lot! God bless.

~ Miss Elle