Chapter 10

Anna

After the little chat that we had and the drink deal, we just spent the rest of the time eating and finishing what we have ordered for ourselves.

Then all of a sudden, I feel full and so I yawn,

"You're sleepy?" oh, he' still here with me by the way.

"Oh, yes, about that." should I tell him?

"Yeah, about that. Aren't you going to explain the situation to me?" he cocks his eyebrow, waiting for my answers. Should I really tell him? Of course, I should. I involved him in this situation without thinking, so at least I should explain some things to him for I feel like I have the responsibility to do so.

"I don't know where I'm supposed to start." I say nervously.

"Should I just ask you some questions so it would be easier for you to answer?" oh yes! That's a good idea.

"I suppose you're not only a good guy but also a smart guy." I whisper.

"What?" Oh, had he heard that?

"No, it's nothing." no please, you haven't heard it.

"No, I heard it, you said something." oh gosh, I have to think of something. Now.

"Oh, I said that it started this morning." oh yes, I need to tell him the story now.

"No, it's not what I've heard. Is that really what you've said?" he asks, looking straight into my eyes. Why do I feel like he can see through me?

"Of course. I'm telling you as to why you get involved in the situation and of course where the situation started." Believe me please, you have to. But there's nothing wrong with the words that I have said back then. They're not offensive words after all. But it doesn't matter anyway, so it's okay that he doesn't have to mind it. He doesn't need to know it.

"Ah, okay. So, what happened this morning?" Oh good, he's getting the bait.

---

"I thought things like that don't exist here anymore but since you're a living proof in front of me, I think they still do exist." what? After all that I've said, that's all? That's all he could say? Can't he say something like I'm afraid about your safety? Or something more sympathizing? Well, of course, what can I expect? He's a stranger after all. We're both strangers.

But somehow, I feel like my faith in humanity has lessened because of that. And because of what has happened to me.

While I'm busy thinking about how terrible things are going around me, my cellphone comes ringing all of a sudden.

Strange. I look at the screen. Whose number is this?

"Hello?" there's this cluttering noise on the other line.

"Hello?" I repeat. The guy in front of me looks concerned. Concerned? In what? To me? Oh Anna, no way. Maybe he's worried that it could mean another trouble that you will cause to him. Yes, probably that's why. Definitely.

"Hello?" I repeat again. Why is that it's taking a long time for them to respond? Wait, there is shouting this time, more like a voice giving commands. It's —

("Anna? Oh, dear Anna, is that you?") Mrs. Engel.

"Mrs. Engel? Yes, it's me. Why?" I sense the panic on her voice. Immediately, my senses become active.

("Oh my, dear Anna!") her voice is shaky.

"Mrs. Engel, what's happening?" I straighten up to my sit.