Chapter 18: Am I ready?

Chapter 18

-Katniss-

I'm feeling really depressed. I didn't know Chris for long. Two weeks I've known him, but it really feels like I've known him longer. But now he's dead. Or he died about a week ago, and I haven't left my bed. Peeta has been patient with me. He takes care of me, feeds me and talks to me. Haymitch is not that patient with me. Yesterday he tried to drag me out of the bed, but Peeta dragged him out of the room. They had a pretty tough fight.

"Katniss?" I hear Peeta call as I hear his footsteps in the stairs.

Only a minute after he peeks inside the room,

"Come in, don't just stand there and peek in", I say.

"Okay baby", he says.

I get all warm inside my body. Baby? He has never called me that before. But I really like it. I really, really do.

"I could get used to that", I smile.

"What?" Peeta asks and frowns.

"What you just called me", I say and blush.

Peeta chuckles and sits down on the edge of my bed.

"Well you are my baby", he says seductively and I feel the urge to rip his shirt off.

No Katniss! You're only nineteen. But ... Isn't that a perfect age to lose my virginity? Hm... I'm old enough, but does that mean I want to?

I've actually never thought about this before. I've never had a reason, but I really do love Peeta with all my heart.

Why am I even thinking about this?

Peeta touches my hand and electricity flies through my hand and up my arm.

Now I remember why I started to think about this. Peeta makes me think about this. And he makes me feel so sure.

"Anyway, I was going to ask if you wanted to go on a picnic", Peeta says and smiles. "I know that you don't want to leave the bed, but it's really nice outside today, and it's a perfect day for a picnic date".

Hm... I think I want to. I'm ready to leave my bed. I need to leave my bed, I can't stay here my whole life.

I grab Peetas hand.

"That would be great", I tell him. "Let me just take a shower".

Peeta smiles so big you can almost think that I've said something completely different.

"Oh thank you Katniss", he says and stands up. "I'm gonna pack the picnic basket".

I smile.

"Okay", I say.

He leans down for a kiss but I pull away my face. He frowns.

"I haven't brushed my teeth today", I say and blush.

Peeta chuckles.

"So do", he says and I jump out of bed.

"I'm gonna", I say and walk inside the bathroom and closes the door.

I take off my nightgown and step into the shower and let the warm rain wash my body as I shudder of the nice feeling of the rain drops.

When I'm done I walk up to the sink and brush my teeth. Two times. Okay I'm lying. Three times. Just to be sure.

I dress in a pair of shorts and a top.

I want to paint my nails. I don't do that very often, and when I do, I always have this beautiful green color. But... Where is my nail polish?