Chapter 31: Stupid Haymitch!

Chapter 31

-Peeta-

Katniss falls asleep in my arms.

It hurts to look at her. Her eyes are red and puffy after all that crying over Buttercup. She really did love that cat. I mean, I loved him as well. But Buttercup and me, we were nice to each other. Katniss and Buttercup were like dog and cat. They didn't get along well. One time, like a week ago, or maybe four days ago, I saw Katniss and Buttercup fight about the rights for the sofa. I mean ... what?

Don't get me wrong. I'm also sad that Buttercup is dead. He was such a cute cat, who actually wasn't evil, like Katniss always said. And he was very intelligent. It was just, they were too alike. Stubborn, and wanted things their way. And yes, I know that Buttercup was only a cat, but they can feel these things as well.

Buttercups death really put a mark on Katniss. She's really devastated and I wish I could do something to help her. But I can't. I just have to let her get over this her way, and take her time, that's the only thing I can do, and to be there for her. And that's what I'm gonna do. Be there for her.

But I have to make another person be there for her as well. I'm talking about none other than the alcoholic mentor of ours, Haymitch Abernathy ladies and gentlemen. Ever since Effie left he has been worse than usual. I mean way worse. I think he's trying to kill himself a bit discreetly. And he gotta stop. Now!

I stand up and lay down Katniss in the sofa. She stirs a bit and I see a tear flow down her cheek. It breaks my heart.

"Annie can you watch Katniss for a while, I have to take care of that useless mentor of ours", I sigh.

Annie smiles.

"I'm pretty sure that he's trying I kill himself", she says thoughtful.

I chuckle.

"Yeah, me too", I sigh.

"Don't worry, I'll watch her, she's sleeping anyway, and if she would wake up, I can comfort her, don't worry", Annie says, smiling.

"Thank you so much, I don't trust anyone else but you, Felice or Sae to watch her", I say.

Okay, I know that it sounds like we're talking about a child. But we're obviously not. It's just that, in this time, she doesn't want to be alone, and I don't trust others with her, I just don't, they would just take advantage of her.

"Don't think about it", Annie says, taking up Katniss legs sits down in the sofa beside beside her and puts Katniss legs over her thighs.

Finn is sitting on the floor. He's on the carpet, and plays with the carpet fringes.

I walk out of the house and with firm steps I walk towards Haymitch house.

I knock on the door. He doesn't open it.

"Haymitch!" I shout as I now bang on the door.

He still doesn't open the door.

"Haymitch open the fucking door!" I yell, but he still doesn't.

I feel the handle of the door, and notice that it's unlocked. He's such an idiot. He doesn't even lock the door.

I open the door, and walk straight inside, and close the door after me.

It smells really bad in here. After Hazel and the kids moved to District 5, Haymitch hasn't had anyone to clean up. Sae did that at first, but when she noticed that Haymith makes it smell and messes up everything within an hour, she refused to continue.

"Haymitch?!" I call.

I get no answer.

"Haymitch!" I call again, higher this time.