Chapter 27: Arrival

Chapter 27

-Katniss-

Peeta and I are standing at the train station, waiting for the train to arrive.

We're not holding hands or something like that. No one but Haymitch, Annie, Michelle and Felice knows that we're together yet.

And there are cameras here, filming the arrival of not one but two victors and of course Effie.

Everyone knows who Effie is. Everyone. She's mine and Peetas old escort, and she'll always be known as that, she doesn't seem to get hurt by that though. She told me that she had something very important to tell me, Peeta and Haymitch after the baptism, and therefor, I got really curious. Effie's not one for secrets, so I really wonder what she needs to tell us.

"Are we gonna tell?" Peeta whispers to me, without looking at me, he's looking at the trail, seeking the train with his eyes.

I can see some lights far away and I know that it's the train.

Peeta means, if we're gonna tell Panem that we're together. I know that Caesar would get a heart attack. It seems like he doesn't want anything else than Peeta and I together as a couple.

"Maybe..." I say thoughtfully, looking at the train that gets bigger and bigger and a smile creeps up on my face as I watch the train, but that smile is only for the cameras satisfaction.

"Really?" Peeta asks, and I can hear that he's smiling as well while looking at the train, but I know better than letting myself get fooled. His not smiling at the train. His smiling at my answer. Even that meaningless answer can make Peeta shine like the sun.

Oh my wonderful Peeta. I can't believe this. I get feelings of guilt. Again. And this time, the word 'baby', wasn't even the topic. But the fact that Peeta is always happy, makes me wonder if it's just an act. I know that he wants children. He can't possibly be happy over the fact that he's not gonna get any children. Oh why is this bothering me so much?

Because I love him, I say to myself.

Peeta looks at me alarmed.

Oh god. Don't tell me that I said that out loud. Please tell me that Peeta just have something to say to me. Oh god.

Peeta glances at the cameras to see if the camera man noticed something and that's when I know that I did say that aloud.

But I think that I whispered it, because the camera man didn't react.

"Careful Katniss", Peeta says.

He must hear very good. He's ears are really sharp.

Peeta takes a step to the side so he stand next to me.

"And just so you know, I love you too", he whispers.

I slap his arm playfully and laugh, so that everyone thinks that Peeta said something really funny.

Peeta only smiles and shakes his head, as if he thinks that I'm crazy. But I know he doesn't. All of this is for the cameras, it's all just an act. An act ... And this is the moment where my smile disappears in less than a split second.

Peeta sees it and he's smile slowly fades away.

"Katniss what's wrong..." But I interrupt him by jumping up into his arms, crashing my lips onto his.

I feel that he's startled at first. But he still keeps his hands under my butt and keeps me up, while he starts kissing me back.

When I pull away I can feel the cameras in my neck. I don't look at them, but I know that they're only inches away from us.

"What are you doing baby?" Peeta asks, not whispering anymore and I hear the camera man gasp at the word 'baby'.

"I don't wanna act anymore, babe", I say, looking him deep in his eyes. "I don't, it brings up too many bad memories, I want everyone to know that you're mine. For real this time". I turn my head and look straight into the camera. "You hear that?! Peetas mine. And I'm his. Forever!"

"And always", Peeta purrs brushing his nose against my cheek.

I turn my head and my lips touches Peetas. I kiss him again. And again. Okay there's no end of this kiss. Until we hear someone clear their throat. I know very well that it's Johanna.

"Brainless. Bread boy, you can do that later?!"

Yep. That's Johanna alright.

I pull away from Peeta and jump down on the ground.

Johanna, Beetee, Effie, my assistants and ... Well, yeah. Gale.

"Johanna, I've missed you", I say, looking at her with a big smile.

"So what are you still doing over there?" She asks, rolling her eyes while opening her arms.

I walk up to her, while looking at Gale. He doesn't seem touched about what he saw just now. But I know he is. I can see it in his eyes. I don't think anyone else can see that though.

I hug Johanna and everyone else. And so does Peeta. Now it's only Gale for me left to hug.

"Hey Gale", I say.

"Hey Catnip", he says.

I can't help the laugh that escapes my mouth when I hear Gales old nickname for me.

I hug him.

"I've missed you, you know", I say.

"Now I do", he says. "And I've missed you too".

I'm actually glad to hear that he missed me.

I pull away and smile at him.

Peeta stands beside me. Gale looks at him. With a hurt expression.

"Hello Gale", Peeta says politely and I feel proud over him. I mean Peeta and Gale were never really the best of friends, after everything.

"Hey", Gale says, and to my surprise he doesn't sound bitter. He reaches Peeta his hand and Peeta takes it. "The best man won".

"I'm not a prize Gale!" I snap.

Peeta and Gale laughs.

"Oh I don't know, I think you are, can I play?" Johanna asks and I sigh. Same old Johanna.

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

🖋1001✒️

Hey guys, I hope you liked this chapter :)

Gale is back, but what is it that Effie wants to tell Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch all together?

Please vote and comment to tell me you guys, please do that :)

I would really appreciate it :)

-Josephine xx