Chapter 15: Artemis

"Alright visiting hours are over, we should be going." Felicity says after a few hours. Everyone stands up and starts getting their stuff.

"If any of you want to come back tomorrow, bring some pizza and I'll let you in." I say. Thea laughs.

"Noted." She says.

"Hey can you wait a minute? Artemis and I need to talk." Oliver says. Thea nods and closes the door.

"Everything okay? I ask.

"Yeah everythings fine." Oliver says.

"Ookay. . . I don't believe you. But okay." I say.

"When you're better, I want you to join my team of merry vigilantes. What do you say?" Oliver asks.

"Ask me again tomorrow when I'm free to leave the hospital." I say. Oliver nods.

"Get some rest." He says as he opens the door to leave.

"Oliver." I say.

"Yes?" He asks.

"Can you turn the light off?" I ask. He flicks the switch and the room darkens.

"Goodnight Oliver." I say.

"Sleep well." He says as he leaves.

I lay back and pull the blankets up. I replay the evening in my mind and smile. Then I close my eyes and drift off into a peaceful sleep.

I wake up and see doctors and nurses staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I ask as I sit up.

"No. We were just waiting for you to wake up, so we can start unhooking you from these machines." One of the nurses says. I give her a thumbs up.

"Someone brought you a change of clothes, and some toiletries if you would like to take a quick shower." I nod.

"That sounds nice." I say as I'm unteathered from the last machine. I stand up, grab the bag and head into the little bathroom. I quickly strip down and take a hot shower. I towel my hair dry, then get dressed. I walk out of the bathroom and see a note laying on the bed. I look around the room, then walk to the window and look outside. I walk over to the bed and slowly pick up the scrap of paper. I recognize the fancy writing.

"One month." I read out loud.

"One month for what?" Oliver asks. I jump a little, then turn around.

"Can you knock?" I ask, crumbling the paper. Oliver turns slightly and knocks on the door.

"It appears I can." He says. I roll my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Bailing you out." He says.

"You make it sound like I was in jail not a hospital." I say as I shove my few belongings into a dufflebag.

"What's the difference?" He asks.

"Good point." I say.

"Come on, there's a car waiting downstairs." Oliver says.

"You taking me back to my place?" I ask as I zip the bag shut.

"No. It wouldn't be the ideal place for you to recover, so Laurel has offered to let you stay at her apartment." He says.

"How generous of her! But you're taking back to my place." I say.

"Nope." Oliver says.

"But I need to get somethings first!" I say.

"Had all of your stuff moved to my secret lair." Oliver says. I raise an eyebrow.

"Don't worry we didn't go through anything." He says. We get into the car and I look around.

"First time in a limo?" Oliver asks. I nod.

"Oh I almost forgot!" He says as he reaches down.

"What?" I ask

"Pizza." He says as he lifts up a box of pizza.

"Pizza?" I ask.

"You said last night that any of us could come back, but only if we brought you pizza. Well here's your pizza." Olive says a he hands me the box.

"You do know I was joking, right?" I ask. Oliver nods.

"Felicity hardly let's me get junk food, pizza included, anyways so I saw an oppertunity and I took it. Now give me a slice." He says. I laugh a little, then open the box. Oliver and I start eating the pizza.

"Mm that was good." I say.

"It's gone already?" Oliver asks. I swallow the last bite of crust, then wipe my mouth.

"Sadly." I say.

The car stops. Oliver opens the door and steps out. I see a bunch of lights flashing outside. Oliver sticks his head back in.

"Come on." He says.

"What's all the flashing?" I ask.

"It's just cameras. Come on." He says. I scoot further into the car and shake my head.

"What don't tell me you're shy." Oliver says.

"I don't like having my picture taken." I say. Oliver sits back down.

"Look it'll only take a minute to get inside, where they can't follow us. Now get out of the car." He says.

"No way." I say. "Artemis get out of the car." He says.

"No." I say firmly. Oliver closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

"Artemis, please get out of the car." He says gently.

"Fine." I say. Oliver gets out of the car, then holds the door open for me. I step out, then squint my eyes as lights flash all around me. I put my hand in front of my eyes, lower my head, and walk into the building.

"See that wasn't so bad." Oliver says as the door closes behind him.

"Why do people want to take my picture?" I ask.

"Because of what you did in that bank, and now because of the special treatment you are getting from the only candidate for mayor." He says.

"Makes sense." I say. I take my duffle from Oliver, and shoulder the bag as someone quickly comes down the stairs.

"Oliver I found the papers you were. . . Artemis! Hi!" Felicity says. I half wave. She wraps me into a tight hug. She steps back and examines me.

"I knew you about my size. Well my size from when I graduated high school. . but still my size." She says.

"Oh these are yours?" I ask as I look at the clothes.

"No just the jacket, everything else is new. Thea actually picked the clothes out, except for the jacket." She says. Oliver clears his throat.

"Thea, why don't you take Artemis upstairs to the apartment." He says. I look at the stairs and see his sister.

"Uh yeah sure. Come on." She says. I walk over to the stairs and we start heading up.