Chapter 25: Artemis part 3 of 3

I walk up the front steps and ring the doorbell.

A woman opens the door.

"Are you Chloe?" She asks. I nod.

"That's me."

"You were suppossed to be here fifteen minutes ago." She says.

"Sorry. My ride never showed so I had to walk here from school." I say, gesturing to the backpack.

"It's fine. Come in." She says.

I step inside the house.

"William is upstairs in his room. I started thawing out some fish sticks for him, all you have to do is put them in the oven then serve them with a little ketchup." She says. I nod.

"He can watch an hour of tv, then he has to get ready for bed at seven thirty, make sure he's in bed by eight." I nod again.

"Alright, good luck!"

And with that she grabs her purse and opens the door.

"William! I'm leaving!" She says.

"Love you!" A boys voice shouts from upstairs.

I close the door behind his mom, then turn and head up the stairs. I stop outside his room.

"Hi William." I say. He looks up at me.

"Hi. Are you Chloe?" He asks. I nod.

"You wanna come downstairs and watch some tv while I heat up those fish sticks?" I ask.

"My mom says I can only watch tv after I eat." He says.

"Really? What other rules does you mom have?" I ask as I lean against the door.

"I have to eat three healthy meals a day, I can have one piece of candy every two weeks, I get one hour of tv a day,"

"Seriously!? You're a ten year old kid! A piece of candy once every two weeks? One hour of tv a day? Kid, that ain't right." I say. William nods.

"Well, I'll go heat up those fish sticks now." I say.

"Fish sticks?" William asks. I nod.

"I don't like fish sticks."

"Well what do you like?" I ask.

"Chicken nuggets." He says.

"I'll see if there are any." I say as I walk back down the stairs.

I set my backpack down, then grab my phone. I press a button and the screen changes to a room.

I watch the screen and see William playing with toys. I press the comm in my ear.

"Artemis to whoever is listening." I say.

"It's Barry."

"I set up the cameras around the house, you should be reciving the signals now." I say.

"Signals received, how's it going?" Barry asks.

"Good. I did a quick scope of the area, spotted several paths that would provide cover if needed." I say as I place a mini camera by the front door.

"Alright. I'm monitoring the feeds, I'll let you know if I see something strange." Barry says.

I walk into the kitchen, then open the freezer. I pull out a bag of chicken nuggets and set it on the counter. I prep the oven, then pour some of he nuggets onto a tray and slide it in.

"Hey Chloe what's in your backpack?" William asks.

"Don't touch that!" I exclaim as I turn and see him unzip it.