Chapter 50: Artemis

I dry my eyes, then slide my new mask on. I attach my largest quiver, make sure my cuffs are fine, then grab the sword Talia insisted I carry.

I strap some knifes to my thigh, then slip a few devices Felicity and Diggle gave me into my pockets.

I grab my bow and hold it my hands. I glance at my old jacket, the one Oliver had made for me, I quickly cut off two strips from the sleeves and tie them around my wrists. I open my door and walk out of the room and down the hall.  

I knock on a door.

"Enter." Talia says. I open the door and walk in.

Talia straps a sword to her side. "I've been given word the army is ready." She says.

My heartbeats faster, echoing in my ears.

"I've instructed them to start towards the city, it's time we follow." She continues.

"I'm ready when you are." I say.

Talia smiles. "Slade!" She yells.

There are heavy footsteps and Slade joins us, his helmet tucked under an arm. "What?" He asks.

"We're leaving." Talia says as she claps her hands.

Someone else walks in and presents Talia with a wooden box.

"What's that?" I ask.

"Roll up your sleeve, Artemis." Talia says as she opens the box and pulls out a syringe.

"What is that?" I ask again.

"It's possible that the enemy may try chemical warfare to defeat us, I want everyone to be immune to whatever is used against us." Talia says as she holds up the syringe.

"I'm good, thanks but I'll take my chances." I say.

Slade grabs my arm from behind and rolls my sleeve up, exposing my forearm. Talia sticks the needle in and injects the liquid into my system.

"There. Now let's start our empire." She says with a terrifying grin.