Chapter 38

I watch Shadow and Malak Alshaytan scale the side of a nearby building. I see Laurel and Sara standing in the shadows. I watch as Nyssa walks into the open. Thea and John stand beside me.

"Talia," Nyssa says, her voice echoing. "I know you're here."

I watch as a woman, tall and thin, her features strikingly similar to Nyssa walks towards her.

"Little sister! It's been so long." Nyssa's sister says.

"Let us skip the pleasantries and get to buisness." Nyssa says.

"Of course! But first, tell me how is Daddy's little angel?" Nyssas sister asks.

"That is not important Talia. What is important is stopping this war." Nyssa says.

"But I love war." Talia says as she walks around Nyssa. "It brings so much death and chaos. I love it."

"But if this war happens, you could lose Jade."

"How could I lose someone I never had? Father took her from me!" Talia questions.

"Talia, sister, please be sensible, a war like this will have disastrious consequences. For both of us." Nyssa says.

"Oh. Well now that you bring that to my attention, dear sister," Talia hisses. "I'm still going through with it. I will order my followers to attack at first light."

Nyssa grabs Talias arm. "This is madness."

"No, madness is agreeing to meet when this was so obviously a trap." Talia says as she pulls her arm from Nyssa's grip, then smacks her across the face.

"Oliver, there's a lot of movement." Felicity says through the comms.

I hear a bow being draw and see an arrow fly throw the air and watch two people drop down from the building and run towards Nyssa as dozens of armed masked men and women pour into the open space.

"Get to Nyssa." I order as I fire my first arrow, then start fighting my way to Nyssa, dodging punches, kicks, and weapons aiming for my head.

Someone comes up behind me and knocks me down.

"No!" A high, female voice screams. A

n arrow sprout from my attackers chest and the man falls back. I try to get back to my feet, but I'm knocked down again.

"Leave him alone!" The same voice shouts. There's a quick sound of running feet.

I lift my head and see Malak Alshaytan fighting five men twice her size. One of them yanks her hood down, blonde hair, held in a tight braid, spills down to her shoulders, and as heer mask flutters to the ground, she keeps fighting.

A sword swipes across her side and she cries out, then clutching her side, she keeps fighting.

"They're retreating!" Jade yells.

I watch as the enemy retreats to the shadows, I get up and walk towards Malak Alshaytan. I grab her mask from the ground.

"You dropped this." I say.

She freezes, then quickly pulls her hood up to hide her face. "It js fine. I have more." She says, her voice unusally deep.

"I also wanted to thank you for saving me." I say.

"It is fine. Just leave me alone." She says as she turns to walk away, then grabs her side.

"You're hurt!"

"I'm fine." She says.

I grab her arm. "You're bleeding. You need help." I say.

"Let go." She says as she yanks her arm away, then stumbles, her hood falling back down.

"Hey!" Jade says as she rushes over.

"I'm fine." Malak Alshaytan says.

"No you aren't. Come on, let's get you help." Jade says.

"Let me help." I say.

"No. Stay away from me." Malak Alshaytan snaps.

"Shadow isn't going to be able to get you anywhere herself." I say as I grab her arm and turn her to me. She hangs her head.

"She doesn't want your help." Jade says as she pushes me away.

Thea walks towards us, then freezes. "Oh my God."

Jade glares at her.

"Sorry, you look like someone I used to know." Thea says.

Malak Alshaytan fixes her hood.

"Look just let me help, I can stop the bleeding till we get you help." I say.

"No, not necessary." Malak Alshaytan says.

"You'll bleed out before you get help." I state as I grab her arm again.

"Let go!" She exlaims as she yanks her arm away.

Her head turns in my direction and her hood moves.

My eyes widen and I let go of her arm. "No! I-it can't be. . ."

"Artemis?"

She looks to the side, where Nyssa is standing. "I tried Nyssa, I told you he would find out." She says before looking back at me.

"You're dead." I say, unable to believe my eyes.

Diggle runs over. "What's going on?"

He stops when he sees her. "Not possible."

"Ollie, I know you're mad -" She starts.

"Mad? I mourned you!" I shout.

"Oliver I can explain." She says.

"No, you can't."

She looks at Nyssa, then turns and runs.

"Artie," Jade says.

Nyssa nods, and Jade runs after her.

"Oliver, if you'll allow me time to explain," Nyssa says.

"You knew didn't you?" I ask.

"I did. And I am very sorry. She had to come back, and when I heard about you adopting her, I didn't see any other way. Oliver don't be mad at her, be mad at me." Nyssa says.

"You lied to me. And she lied to me." I say before walking away.