Chapter 34: Oliver

"Are you okay Ollie?" Thea asks.

I nod. "Yeah I'm fine. I just want to make sure she'll be okay."

"Well, I have to go. Let me know how she does." Laurel says as she gives me a quick hug.

"Felicity and I have plans, but we can cancel." Thea says.

I shake my head. "No that's okay. You two go have fun." I say as I give them both a hug and kiss.

John looks at me. "You look like you need some coffee." He says.

I nod. "I guess I can leave for a few minutes to get some coffee." I say.

John puts his hand on my shoulder. "She'll be okay Oliver." He says.

"I know."

"Now, let's get some coffee." John says.
We walk down the hall to the elevator.

"I'll just be a few minutes, I want to tell her goodnight." I say as the elevator doors open.

"It's fine Oliver." Diggle says. "Do what you need to do, I can wait."

I step out of the elevator and a bunch of doctors and nurses rush past. I stop of of the nurses. "What's going on?"

"One of the patients is flatlining." The nurse says before rushing off.

I look at John, then run to Artemis' room. I see the doctors and nurses working. "What happened?"

"We don't know. She was fine, then she started to flatline." One of the nurses says.

I try to push through to get closer to Artemis, but am forced back.

"Sir, please you can't be in here." One of the doctors says.

"That's my girl in there, I adopted her. I want to see her!" I say.

"Sir, please! We're doing our best to help her." The doctor says as he pushes me out of the room and closes the door.

I slam my fist into the wall.

"Oliver!" Felicity yells as she runs towards me, Laurel and Thea close behind.

"What happened?" Thea asks.

"They don't know." I say.

The door opens and one of the doctors walks out.

"Mr. Queen." The doctor says.

"Yes? How is she?"

"We've done everything we can, but her injuries are too severe. There's nothing we can do." He says.

"What are you trying say?" Felicity demands.

"I'm saying you should prepare for the worst." The doctor says before walking away.

The rest of the nurses leave the room, the door standing open.

I walk into Artemis' room and look at her. "Stay strong Artemis. You'll be okay." I say as I take her hand.

I close my eyes and listen to her heart monitor beep. "You have to get better." I say.
~~
I wake up to a loud beeping sound. I look at Artemis' monitor.

"Hey I need help in here" I shout as nurses and doctors rush in.

I'm pushed to the side as the doctors gather around Artemis. I watch as the work, till they stop.

"Write this down, time of death 3:02 a.m." The doctor says as he turns to face me.

"I'm sorry sir, we tried everything." He says.

I walk out of the room and down the hall. I slide down to the floor and stare into space.

"Oliver!" Thea says as she, Felicity, and Laurel run over.

"She's gone." I say as I feel tears run down my face. "Artemis . . . she's gone."

Laurel covers her mouth.

"Oh no." Thea says.

Felicity sits down beside me, tears on her cheeks.

"I didn't get to say goodbye." I say.

"Oliver," Felicity starts.

"I never told her how much I appreciated her. I never told her that I loved her." I say as more tears run down my face.

Thea sits by me asJohn comes around the corner.

"Laurel called me. What happened?" He asks before stopping and looking at me. "Is Artemis okay?"

I close my eyes and shake my head. "She's gone." I say, my voice cracking.

"Artemis is dead."