Chapter 19: Artemis

Oliver and I zoom along in silence.

"So I was thinking of getting you a chocolate cake, any thoughts?" He asks.

"You really want to talk about this now?" I ask, shouting to be heard over the roaring wind. Oliver nods.

"Fine. Chocolate cake, with silver flowers that have green leaves, and I'll let you decide the rest." I say.

"Okay. What about decorations?" Oliver asks.

"You're kidding right?" I ask.

"Oliver stick to the mission." Felicity says through the comms.

"Please." Roy adds.

"Shut up Harper no one is talking to you." I say.

"Why don't you make me Artemis?" He asks.

"Don't tempt me." I say.

"I was thinking silver streamers, blue balloons with 'happy birthday' spelled out in silver." John says.

"Maybe have a drink bar for the older guests and a drink bar for the younger guests, in different sides of the room." Thea adds.

"Laurel was thinking of a buffet with junk foods and other stuff." Oliver says.

"No junk food!" Felicity says.

"It's for the teens." Thea says.

"Fine but I better see Artemis eat a small salad." Felicity says.

"Oh maybe some vines with pretty blue flowers around the doorframes and windows." Thea says.

"When you are all done planning my party, Ollie and I are in sight of the van." I say.

"Okay, Oliver think you take out a tire or something?" Felicity asks.

"I'm driving. And I don't know if Artemis can make the shot." He says.

I press a button on my bow and changes into a crossbow. I grab an arrow from Oliver's quiver and perch the bow on his shoulder, lining up the point of the arrow with one of the vans back tires. I take a deep breath, then fire. The arrow finds its mark and the tire blows, slowing the van. It pulls parallel to the bike. I press the button again and my bow turns back to normal.

"Oliver pull closer." I say.

"What are you doing?" He asks as I place a hand om his shoulder and stand up.

"Artemis what are you doing!?" Oliver says again. I jump onto the side of the van, my feet slide across the surface of the van, finding no foot holds, one of my hands misses a grip.

"Artemis!" Oliver shouts as I hang off the side of the speeding van. I reach to my right and find a handhold. I quickly make my way towards the front of the van. I glance through the window.

"Artemis to team. We have a problem." I say as I look at the ticking bomb insode the locked van.

"What is it?" John asks.

"Bomb. Doors are locked." I say.

"No driver and the car wasn't hotwired." I say as I look at the keys, then at the pedal floored down.

"Can you see the cargo?" Oliver asks. I struggle to an angle and look over the seats.

"Tnt, live ammo, C4." I say.

"Oliver can you try to get inside?" Felicity asks.

"No. The van has a tire out, but it's still pulling ahead." He says.

"Speedy, try and get Arsenal close so he can stop the van." John says.

"Um I am currently hanging on to said van, I can try to stop it." I say.

"Negative. You're on probation." Oliver says.

"I can do it!" I say.

"No. Artemis tha -"

I pull the comm out of my ear and toss it away. I slam my bow against the window on the passenger side. Some of the shattered glass flies out in my direction and cuts me. I pull myself closer to the window, angling my body to avoid the broken glass as best as I can, but I still feel some of the shards pierce my skin. I grit my teeth as I fully pull myself through the window and crash onto the seat. I glance at the bomb next to me. I reach into my boot and pull a knife out. I pry open part of the bombs casing, exposing its wires.

"Now I wish I hadn't thrown my comm away." I think as I try to figure out what to do. I spot a single red wire and a single blue wire attached to the display.

"It's always the red or blue wire in movies." I think. I grab the red wire and slice it with my knife. The bomb speeds up by thirty seconds.

Five minutes left.

I cut the blue wire. That makes it worse. The bomb starts ticking down the last forty seconds. I grab a thicker arrow from my quiver, then stab it down into the bomb. I watch as frost creeps up around the display.

One second.

I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding in. I turn and slide into the drivers seat. I kick away the block holding down the accelarater, then press down on the brake. Nothing. I grab the emergency brake and pull it up. Nothing.

Then I hear a screeching sound as the van slows down to a stop. There's a tap on the window. I unlock the door. Oliver grabs my quiver strap and pulls me out of the van.

"Dig, bomb." He says as John rushes forward.

"Uh it's already stopped." John says. Oliver looks in at the frosted bomb with an arrow shaft sticking up out of it. He pulls the arrow out.

"Explain." Oliver demands as he turns and looks at me.

"Tried to cut the wires, didn't work, actually made it worse." I say.

"And this?" Oliver asks holding up the arrow, then pointing to the frozen bomb.

"Liquid nitrogen." I say as I pull out the same type of arrow from my quiver. I tap the tip.

"Froze the circitry." I say.

"So you endangered your life not once, not twice, but three times in thirty minutes, disobeyed two orders, and ditched your comm." Oliver says.

"Are you angry?" I ask.

"Proud." He says. I smile.

"Good job." John says. Roy and Thea pull up.

"Girl, I heard what you did over the comms." Thea says as she hops off the bike and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"Great job Artemis." Roy says. I smile.

"What?" He asks.

"You called me Artemis, not 'kid'." I say. Roy smiles a little.

"Don't let it go to your head, kid." He says.

"Shut up Harper." I say.

"Alright let's head back to base." Oliver says.

"Can I drive?" I ask eagerly pointing to the motorcycle.

"No, you don't know how to drive a motorcycle. But I'll teach you how after tomorrow." Oliver says.

"Awesome!" I say.

"Get on the bike." Oliver says, shaking his head.