Chapter Twenty One

"Brooke, please talk to me." Brendon asked, glancing over across the car to look at the small girl. Brooke didn't reply, she just continued to stare out the window, her eyes empty. The rain splashed against the window as they drove by. Brendon attempting to some kind of reaction; any kind of reaction out of her. But, there was none. She just looked out the window blankly. Brendon understood what was wrong with her, she put walls around herself and now she can't break down those walls. She shook her head, moving away once again. Brooke's shoulders sagged, she bit down on her lips, attempting to calm herself. Brooke didn't want to feel like this; Brooke didn't want to feel. Brendon sighed, realizing that she wasn't going to reply nor was she going to show how she felt.

Brendon focused on the road once again, his hands tightening on the wheel, to the point where his knuckles turned white. It broke him to see her so lifeless; she seems like she has given up. What happened to the small, innocent, little girl that he once knew? Of course, Brendon understood what happened: Sarah. Sarah broke her beyond belief. She's the reason Brooke is like the way she is now. Brendon wished that Sarah wouldn't get Brooke, and he was mistaken. Maybe Brooke would have been different if she stayed with Brendon and Ryan instead of Sarah. She would be happier; different. Sarah broke her spirit and her will to live. Brendon could only imagine what he did to her.

The car stopped in the driveway, Brendon taking out the keys out of the ignition. Brooke didn't wait for anything, she opened the door and stepped out, gently closing the door behind her. She slung her backpack, that she used to stay the night, over her shoulder. Brooke walked towards the door, Brendon following behind her slowly. She took out her key and opened the door. She stepped in, and went to head towards her bedroom. Ryan stood from the couch, and walked over to the two. He placed his hand on Brooke's shoulders and smiled down at her. "You okay?" She nodded sadly, not meeting his eyes. "I'll be up in a while and bring you some breakfast." Ryan smiled, trying to put on a cheery mood, even if that isn't what he was feeling.  Ryan was pissed off at Brendon to say the least. He knew that Brendon was drunk but that didn't excuse what he did.

Ryan dropped his hand off of her shoulder, stepping away, allowing Brooke to walk by. She nodded, almost thanking him, before retreating up to her room. Brendon placed down his keys and watched her back as she gently walked up the stairs. He flopped down on the couch, his head in his hands. Ryan sat next to him and wrapped his arm around his shoulder, similar to what Brendon did to Brooke. Brendon sighed into his husband's touch. "I messed up badly, Ryan, she doesn't even want to look at me anymore." Brendon sighed, his hand running through his hair. 

"She's just scared Brendon," Ryan said softly. "She's not used to having a family that she can rely on. All her life she's only been by herself and now that she has us, it's hard for her to adjust." Ryan coaxed. 

"How long is this going to take? I miss my daughter." Brendon whispered the last part. 

"I don't know Brendon, it might be a while. You may have to leave her alone-" Brendon cut Ryan off. Brendon jumped up and angrily sighed at the ground. Ryan stood up and patted his shoulder, which Brendon shoved off. 

"Leave her alone? She's my daughter, I can't just leave her alone! Come on, Ryan, are you serious? You can't be. How fucking dumb can you be?" He snapped, glaring at Ryan. Ryan felt hurt fill his body. He didn't know Brendon was being like this.  

"Well if you keep acting the way you are now, you'll lose Brooke and me." Ryan said sadly, turning and walking up the stairs, leaving a stunned Brendon behind him. Brendon wanted to run after him, but he didn't; he couldn't move. The door slammed loudly. 

Brooke listening to Brendon and Ryan arguing with tears in her eyes, knowing it was her fault that they were fighting. If she never came back, maybe they'd be happier and live better. 

"Ha, I told you." The voices came back. "They would get tired of you in only a couple weeks. Just wait until they send you back to the orphanage."

***

Short chapter sorry. I'm at school and most teachers are saying, "Fuck it." and we are watching a movie. Today is my last day before break, so more updates to come! 

Question of the Day: 

Why is Brendon acting like this?