twenty

“Luke, it’s time to leave” John announced.

I felt a familiar feeling take over my body, one I referred to as nothing else but numb.

He looked to the floor, then back up to John.

“C-can you just, just give us a minute” Luke asked, coming out as more of a demand than anything else.

“Luke, we need to leave, now.” John repeated, getting fed up with Luke.

“John, I’ll be out in a fucking minute, just let me say good bye to my girlfriend Jesus Christ” Luke bursted out.

John sighed impatiently, walking out and slamming the door behind him.

Before I could say anything, I was pulled into Luke’s chest, as squeezed me tightly. Some may have called it bone crushing, but in that moment, it was comforting.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, nuzzling my head into his neck.

“Sorry I have to leave you,” Luke whispered quietly,

“It’s not your fault, Luke” I replied.

I pulled away from the embrace I would miss as I softly cupped his gorgeous face in my hands and kissed him softly.

I pulled away, lingering on his lips momentarily before pecking him once more.

“I love you” I whispered against his warm lips,

“And I love you, princess” he whispered back,

“I’ll see you soon?” I giggled, biting my lip, “You sure will” he winked.

We each took a deep breath, embracing each other once more, before he stood up and walked towards the door.

“Daniella?” he spoke, turning around,

“mmm?” I hummed,

“Stay safe, I’ll call you as soon as I land, I promise” he said, before we both mumbled another I love you, followed by him walking out the door and closing it behind him.

I sucked in a deep breath, followed by sighing heavily.

I was acting strong for Luke’s sake. I know how much it hurts him when I’m upset, and I couldn’t just breakdown and front of him before he left, he wouldn’t get any sleep at all, and I didn’t want that.

It took so much effort not to burst out in tears when John announced it was time for Luke to leave.

It was currently 12am.

I was scared, to say the very least.

All these nights at the hospital, I felt safe and so secure, like nothing could hurt me.

Luke was by my side every morning and every night, and at this stage, I could possibly be going to sleep and waking up two mornings and nights without him.

That scared me.

I always wondered how people did long distance relationships successfully. It was unbearable to even go a day without Luke, let alone months.

I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable and uneasy.

I tossed and turned, constantly.

It was safe to say this was going to be another sleepless night.

---

I woke up to the sound of some one opening my door.