thirty two

Luke’s POV

“Was this your first time having an addiction?” she asked, looking to the side slightly.

“No. I mean yeah, wait… Um, it was my first heroin addiction.” I replied, slightly confused with myself.

“So you’ve had other addictions before this, but they weren’t heroin addictions?” she questioned, trying to clarify my answer.

“Well actually, I guess it was my first addiction. A couple of years ago I did cocaine pretty often, but my friends found out and stopped me before I was in too deep.” I answered.

“So this was your first addiction, then.” she confirmed, more to herself then me.

“Yeah, I guess. What about you? Was this your first?” I asked, turning my head to look at her, and found her grey-blue eyes looking back at me momentarily before she looked to the ground again, turning her focus back towards the bright green grass underneath us.

“Uh, no. This was my first time having an ice addiction though. I had a heroin addiction and a coke addiction once.” she murmured softly, playing with her ginger split ends.

I nodded in response, playing with the grass.

Her name was Claudia Bailey, she was another patient in the rehab facility. When you first arrive, they practically shut you off from all contact with any other human apart from your councillors, and the doctors. When you’ve practically overcome your addiction and the side effects of coming off the drug, and your councillors believe you’re ready to be human again, you get to interact with the other patients.

Every morning, he woke at 6:30am, and he went to breakfast. The food they had here was actually surprisingly good, but then again; I am Luke Hemmings, and John supposedly sent me to the best rehabilitation centre there was. Breakfast finished at 8:00am, from there we had our first leisure session of the day. Leisure sessions meant we were welcome to do whatever they please, I usually just stayed in my room and worked on the songs he had been writing for Daniella. That went for an hour, so then at 9:00am, it was shower time. For the boys that is — the girls had their showers whilst the boys had their leisure time, to prevent any sexual activity in the showers you could say. After shower time, we had their first group session of the day, at 10:00am. I had met Claudia in group. Our group consisted of Julia — a crystal meth addict, Sean — a speed addict, Chris — another heroin addict, Sarah — an ecstasy addict, Hayden — a cocaine addict, Claudia — an ice addict, and myself — a heroin addict. Our councillor’s name is Adam. I like Adam, he likes cool music. The first time we had group, I was rather nervous to be honest, I mean — it had been a whole two months and I was yet to speak to anyone other than those I had to. But then I walked in, and I met Adam. He was wearing a Nirvana shirt at the time, and I knew that group wouldn’t be so bad after all. 

I think Adam had actually noticed me staring at his shirt whilst he was introducing me, which made him laugh. “You like Nirvana, hey?”, to which I laughed and replied with “Hell yeah, who doesn’t?”, making him laugh and smile widely, before introducing me to the rest of the group.

The first person I had noticed within the small group of people was in fact, Claudia. She was looking right back at me. The first thing I noticed about her, were the scars on her left wrist.

Group wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great either. Each session we all got more and more familiar with each other, and after day by day passed it felt more like hanging out with a couple of mates at school, rather than a therapy session where you came to talk about your drug addiction.