forty five

“Wow… this is amazing!” Jack, one of Luke’s two older brothers spoke, after chewing down a piece of corned beef. 

“I agree, it’s wonderful. Where’d you two learn to cook like this?” Jack’s fiancée Celeste exclaimed.

“This one was all Daniella, I did the lamb.” Luke smiled at me.

“Well Luke, Daniella makes a mean roast. Keeper for sure.” his other brother Ben grinned in my direction, making Luke and I laugh.

“Thank you,” I laughed, “My dad actually taught me the recipe for it, so thank him” I explained.

“Dans, I taught you how to place the meat in the fry pan and how long to cook it for — you can most definitely take credit for this one yourself.” he flattered.

“Thanks, dad.” I smiled, eating a piece of the meat myself.

“You’re welcome, sweetheart.”

“So, Daniella, have you thought of what you’d like to do after graduating high school?” Liz, Luke’s mum asked politely.

I nodded. 

“I’m really interested in journalism and music. Not too long ago I was actually fairly conflicted on which path I’d prefer, but then I decided, why not both? So hopefully if I get the right score, I’ll go on to complete 3 years doing a bachelor of music, and then 2 years studying journalism. From there I’d really like to go on tour with warped, or sound wave, and have the chance to interview the bands and write articles on them, and possibly get myself involved in a music magazine like blunt.” I replied confidently.

“Oh wow, that’s great. Your ideal career practically intertwines with Luke too, which is pretty nice for the two of you. I’m sure you’ll be great at that.” she complimented.

“Thank you.” 

“You’re an only child, right?” Celeste asked.

“Yeah, I am.” I smiled.

She nodded.

“Dave, is it?” Andrew, Luke’s father questioned, and my dad responded with a nod.

“Did you ever consider having another child?” he asked nicely.

“Well, I lost my wife — Daniella’s mother about 14 years ago. Back when she was around it was a possibility, but since then I never really thought of it. I guess it just depends now, I mean, Amanda here is absolutely wonderful and she’s given me a second chance at love. She has no children of her own, so if ever in the future she wanted some of her own I guess it could move that possibility into perspective. But until then, Dans is all I need.” he responded, and I felt in awe.

I could see by the way my father acted around Amanda that she definitely meant a lot to him, but to hear him say such a thing out loud was different somehow. I felt a newfound happiness to hear my dad speak of love out loud for anyone other than me after 14 long years. 

Amanda looked just as shocked as I did. I don’t think she expected my father to feel as strongly as he does about her, and I think that’s wonderful. All I could hope for is that she feels the same, because one broken heart is enough for a life time. If my father ever had to endure the pain of a broken heart ever again, It would be the death of him.

The thought of a sibling sounded unreal. But a good kind of unreal, it would be wonderful. 

“Wow, that’s wonderful, Dave. It’s good to hear you’ve finally been given another shot at love. Everyone deserves a second chance, especially in love.” Liz responded, shooting him a warm smile.