New Year's 1999

It was New Year's Eve, 1999, things had been crazy with the power couple's company and they were enjoying the somewhat long break they were getting. No more events for a few weeks now. It was weird, but it gave Mark some time to train Steph for in-ring performance.

Steph was laying down on the couch with her eyes closed. She had no idea what Mark had run off to do, but it was nice having a quiet house. Steph didn't know what she was going to do, without paperwork or an employ calling or a trainee calling or just last minute problems, Steph was bored.

She had a lot of time to read on flights or car rides to the arenas and she didn't really feel like reading at the moment. The TV just made noise so Steph was ignoring it for now. They'd watch the ball drop at midnight and probably just be crazy and insane for a little while and then lay in bed laughing for hours.

The front door opened and Steph opened one eye to see Mark, he was carrying something away from her and she heard him set it down in the kitchen.

"What'ca got?" Steph asked.

"C'mere and find out." Mark replied.

Steph groaned and begrudgingly got up. She'd hoped he wouldn't ask her to move. But then again, she was curious to what he'd brought home. Mark hugged and kissed her as soon as she entered the kitchen and Steph smiled. She looked at the box and just rolled her eyes and laughed.

"Beer? Seriously? You're not on the road, bub." Steph laughed.

"Yes, and? It's New Year's Eve, I am allowed to drink. And besides, it's better not to remember much about the New Year coming in anyway." Mark replied.

"OK! Fine!" Steph giggled.

They had an agreement that Mark couldn't drink at home. On occasion it was allowed but Steph had stated she'd rather have him sober at home. He'd agreed and only drank during the night adventures his friends and him went on.

Mark opened the case expertly and put the beer cans in the fridge.

"They'll be cold before midnight. So what have you been up too?" He asked.

Steph thought for a moment. "I've been laying on the couch with virtually nothing to do and missing my husband."

* * *

The ball had just dropped and 2000 was here. Mark had thrown some curse words at the new year and opened his first can o' beer and Steph just laughed. She found it hilarious, for some reason.
"What are you laughing at?" Mark smiled, with a sideways glance.

"You! What a way to bring in a year!" Steph laughed harder at that comment.

"Well, dear wife, have one." Mark said.

"Have one what?" Steph asked.

"A beer." Mark replied, holding out a can for her.

Steph looked at it and took it. It was a popular brand at the moment and she wasn't sure.

"What is it even like being drunk?" Steph asked.

"Drink a few and find out." Mark replied.

"You're helpful." Steph retorted.

She gingerly opened it and stared at it. She knew Mark was watching her, but what he didn't know was this: She'd never picked up any alcohol before. She'd married Mark in front of over a thousand people, she could drink a beer in front of her husband. She tipped it and started chugging.
"WHOA! Holy sh---Chill girl!" Mark exclaimed.

Steph almost choked, she stopped and made a face. Mark began laughing and Steph just handed it to him to finish. She'd chugged half of the can, without realizing it.

"I thought you were going to sip it." Mark said, finishing his original can of beer.

"I thought you were supposed to (belch) chug it?" Steph asked.

Mark just continued laughing (and laughed even harder when she belched) until he stopped.

"I don't get the appeal. All I feel is senseless." Steph said.

"That is kind of the point, get away from the world for a while and party hard." Mark replied.

"I see. You may drink, but I don't think I will." Steph stated.

"You have to finish your can." Mark replied. "Then you can quit."

Steph gave him a dirty look and was handed her can. She chugged the rest and pretended to gag on the foul fluid.

"Gross." She stated.

"I can't wait until that kicks in." Mark said, opening a second can of beer.

"What do you mean? One can isn't enough to--"

"You chugged the can. It'll hit, and hard." Mark answered.

"Fair warning next time you make me try something." Steph ordered.

"Al-(belch)-right." Mark promised.

The drinks kicked in for both of them and Steph was out of her senses for a while. Mark was Mark, except drunk and not the best judgement either. They just laughed at each other until 3 am and then it was a good time to turn off the TV and head upstairs to sleep off the beers.

The next morning Mark was very hungover and Steph was only slightly. That made for an interesting conversation and Steph wondered why the cans had disappeared. Mark was all innocent and Steph didn't bite. She carried on about too much beer and making a 12 can box disappear with the exception of Steph's own drink within a few hours.

Mark just shrugged and mentioned they'd played a game of drunk Uno at one point in the night. Steph had a "when?" face and Mark went back to bed to get rid of the hangover. Steph grabbed her journal and wrote down her opinion on beer, drunk Uno and a drunk Mark. It was an interesting entry.

_____________________________________________________________

Fun fact: I have never taken a drink myself. I was going completely off the imagination.

As soon as I typed "fridge" I was hungry. It's really late right now, no way am I eating and risking heart burn.

This chapter was fun to write. Happy New Years' to everyone and 2017 will probably be crazy! (The few months I've worked on my stories have been NUTS! I wonder what a full year will be like!)