Vince's 'Release'

August 13th, 2011. (Originally published 2/09/17 and changes are minor)

Steph wondered if Vince would be willing to talk to them. They were meeting with Linda and Shane to see Vince for the first time in ten years. Mark had made Steph vow their children would never meet Vince until they were adults. Steph had told him there was a good chance he could be dead by then, to which the reply was "Good riddance".

Steph wished he wasn't so harsh to Vince, but she knew that Mark had been very protective of her, as he was to his three girls. Steph stopped at a stoplight and she noticed Mark's fists were white.

"Are you going to be OK? I thought by now, you would have cooled off." Steph commented.

"Don't plan on that happenin' anytime soon." Mark snapped.

"Alright then, just don't do anything you'll regret. Mmkay?" Steph asked.

"Whatever."

When it came to Vince, Mark and Steph were sometimes short tempered around each other. Steph forgave him to an extend, but Mark downright loathed him. They both knew he'd ask about their child, they'd tell him they had three, but they wouldn't give too many details to him.

Steph breathed in and out when they pulled up to the McMahon household. She wished Glen or Anna were there. They could help them both keep their sanity. They exited the car and Steph knocked. Linda answered the door with a tight smile. Steph noticed Shane and Marissa were there too.

"Shane, Marissa, how are you?" Mark asked.

"Good." Shane replied. "How about you?"

Steph quietly breathed inward as she prepared for Mark's answer.

"I've been better."

Steph felt relieved and she noticed Mark looked at her from the corner of his eye.

Yeah, I know you saw  that. Steph said in her mind.

 They entered the living room and Vince didn't meet her eyes. He looked upset and Steph felt bad for him. Mark was talking with Shane about work. Steph noticed he was ignoring Vince entirely. Steph made some small talk with Vince, he asked about the WWF. And Stevie. 

"How old is she now? 10?" Vince asked.

"Yes." 

"Does she have any siblings?" Vince asked.

 Steph glanced at Mark and he made a subtle nod. 

"Two. The last one was...Well...Accidental." 

 Vince smiled a little. "What are their names?" 

"Stevie Nicks Callaway is the eldest, Daryl Hannah Callaway and Lucy Harris Veronica Callaway." "Hell of a name for the youngest. Do the other two tease her about it?" Vince asked.

"Daryl does. Stevie takes great responsibility for  Lucy though." Steph answered.

"Good kid." 

 The conversation ended just like that and Steph cringed. This was not going to go well.

* * *

It had been a uneventful afternoon, Steph had tried to be sociable but her husband had been an ass. Honestly, she didn't care, but he could've stayed quiet too. She was happy it was over and she knew Mark was too.

"So, did you survive the afternoon?" Steph asked sarcastically.

"Steph, I'm not in the mood." Mark replied.

"I thought you'd at least fake being happy to be there." Steph fired.

"Next time, don't ask me to come with you. Me 'n the kids could have had a nice day and a half." "That would have been rude."

"No, they know I strongly dislike your Dad."

"And I know you're an incredible actor."
"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Answer that yourself."

"You wanted me to be 'fake'? Dammit, woman, I thought you married me because I wasn't fake."

"Don't bring that into this, that hasn't been a problem since...Before."

"So our wedding is a 'that' now?"

"What the hell are you even saying?"

"You know what I'm saying."

"Don't make me regret putting my father in prison for ten years."

"So you'd capitulate to him now? I thought you were strong?"

"Mark, I'd never surrender my company."

"Then why are you defending your Dad?"

"JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Steph regretted that sentence, but didn't apologize. She didn't care, she just wanted her girls, she wanted home. Steph thought about their argument and just sighed, it was pointless, and steam had just been building for a couple months now, and they were both sick and tired with the recent issues that'd come up.

I'm not sorry, but I don't want to destroy my marriage either. Nevermind, this'll pass. It will. I hope.

_________________________________________________________________

The writer is back at it, and just smiling at these two going at it. :)