Goin' Steady

July 4th, 1995

Anna was nagging Steph to leave. The park party was due to start in a few minutes and Anna had to bring a dish.

"Just a minute! Geeze, Anna. It's only 7:30!" Steph snapped.

"Well aren't you moody? Eeeh! What are you waiting for?" Anna replied.

Steph didn't reply and they heard a familiar motor.
"Of course you were waiting for Mark. God." Anna groaned.

"Let's go." Steph replied.

Anna went to grab her dish from the kitchen and Steph went outside.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" Steph asked, walking over to him.

"Not as beautiful as you, though." Mark replied.

"You two are going to make me puke! Seriously! Why do I have to suffer, every single time you two decide to have a date?" Anna yelled, pretending to wretch in the doorway.

"Deal with it." Steph said sarcastically.

"I am. In my own way." Anna answered.

Steph rolled her eyes and Anna lead the way towards the park.

"I'm glad there weren't any shows you had to be in, this week." Steph said.

"Me too." Mark replied.

Steph feel silent for a few moments and watched the sun set.

"What's in that dish, Anna?" Mark asked.

"This? It's a layered pudding 'n pie mix, just layer crumb crush, pudding and whip cream and you're good to go." Anna replied.

"It's delicious." Steph added.

After a fifteen minute walk they arrived.

"Damn misquotes." Anna snapped.

"I have some bug spray, relax." Steph said.

About twenty minutes later, Steph went to catch up with some friends and she'd wandered away from Mark. She didn't keep tabs on him, he was an adult, he could take care of himself. And she didn't want anyone to think they were boyfriend/girlfriend just yet.

A woman about Steph's age walked up and she whistled softly. She was blonde, had dark green eyes and was shaped like a large hour glass.

"See him?" she asked Steph.
"Who, Cindy?" Steph replied.

"Him."

Cindy pointed towards a group of guys, and Steph noticed she was pointing at Mark.

"What about him?" Steph asked.

"I wonder if he's single..." Cindy trailed off.

Steph had no idea what she was doing but she snapped: "He's taken. There's no way you're getting him."

Cindy looked surprised. "Dammit, he's taken? Fa...Do you know the witch that has him?"

"Yes." Steph replied.

"Who then? I'll make sure to get to know her better." Cindy asked.

"That information is confidential." Steph snapped.

Anna who had seen Cindy pointing at Mark, assumed Steph was talking about her new boyfriend, so she decided to harass Mark about it. Bad idea. Anna walked over and cowgirl whistled and Mark looked up. But unfortunately, so did Cindy and Steph.

Oh no...Anna, this isn't a good idea! Steph thought.

Cindy got a wicked look in her eye and said: "C'mon Steph."