Crime and Punishment

March 1st, 2001. * * * March 4th 2001. * * * March 6th 2001. * * * March 10th 2001.

Steph waited eagerly for word on her father. He'd been found in their next city, and the Power Couple were driving towards this city. Tampa Florida. Apparently Vince had kept going two stops away from where they were supposed to be going, along with sabotaging, and delaying important people for the newest shows.

"I wonder how he's going to react to your stomach, your four months along now." Mark commented.

Stephanie knew Mark would be doing everything in his will power to not beat the living hell out of Vince. She thought and replied:
"If he does anything. He's behind bars for destruction of property, and there is evidence." Steph replied.

"How you feeling? You feel like you can keep it together, until we get out of there?" Mark asked.

"I'll have to do a lot of the heavy lifting, I'm not sure I can trust you right now." Steph replied.

Mark shrugged sarcastically and they continued on without another word.

They got to the police station and entered. An officer (Officer Lish) greeted them and directed them towards the private room where Vince was being held for review. As soon as Stephanie entered the room and saw Vince, a hot wall of anger hit her.

This man had done nothing but try to ruin her life for the past three years, first she was to be involved in a storyline, she had no idea of. Then a bunch of twists in turns that luckily ended in her marriage. Then forged signatures and then two months of worry, not to mention Linda had been depressed.

Stephanie snapped out of her anger and keep an eye on Mark. She knew he had been even more angry than she was. She told herself to relax, and continued with the meeting.

* * *

The meeting had gone well, there were court meetings soon and hopefully they were go as well as the first meeting. Mark had been civil, Steph was impressed by his ability to put things aside for a moment.

"How long, do you want your father to do time?" Mark asked.

Steph blinked a couple of times and asked him to repeat his question, he did and Steph answered. "Four years."

Mark looked surprised. "Four years? Why?"

"Those are the years that he tried to rule my life." Steph answered.

Mark nodded with a distant look. "Yeah, I know. Has it really been that long?"

Steph replied with a 'yes', and they fell into silence again.

Steph noticed Mark was more distant and quiet these days, well, it'd been a while since he'd been happy. Ever since Vince tried to make Steph sign those papers. She sighed and rested a hand on her ever growing belly. She hoped this would be over, before the baby was born. She didn't want the baby coming into the world, while Vince was still in court. Steph couldn't take it anymore, and just cried.

* * *

Steph was rather surprised how fast the court was moving Vince along. In two weeks they'd have several meetings to determine, how long Vince would be in prison. Steph wanted four years, but the judge had mentioned he might get at least fifteen. Maybe sixteen. Steph also had been assured the court would determine Vince's fate by April first, it was rushed, but plenty of evidence had been provided against Vince by credible sources. Hopefully this would end well.

Steph was rattled out of her thoughts by Mark entering their hotel room.

"Steph, c'mere." Mark said.

Steph was startled by his flat tone of voice and defeated look. She walked over to him and she tried not to give a startled yelp when he hugged her. He knelt down, bringing her with him and just held her head on his neck for a few moments. Finally he spoke again.

"Please...Don't leave me."

Steph realized Mark had thought, she had considered caving to her father's demands. Ever since the start, she had been determined to keep him, and Vince's bull headed attitude wasn't going to change that. Ever.

"I fought so hard to get you. I will never leave you. Ever. I promise."

* * *

Steph sat on a bench waiting for the show to begin. It was a matter of minutes before the show was set to start and she was getting worried about Hunter and Joan. They were usually the first ones in the arena, and they were late. Good thing they didn't have to appear until the end of the show, with DX-Mahon, whom Shane would be formally disbanding, and letting DX's band of brothers return to their normal antics.

Finally Joan and Hunter ran up to Steph, Hunter rushed into the locker room and Joan stopped next to Steph.
"We need to talk, privately. Now." Joan said.

"Alright! Quick, into my office!" Steph replied, getting up.

They dashed into Steph's office and Steph closed the door.

"What's up, Joan?" Steph asked.

"Promise me, you won't tell anyone, until after it becomes news, OK?" Joan asked.

"Promise."

"Well, I don't know how to phrase this, but Hunter proposed." Joan announced.

Steph's jaw dropped and she stared at Joan for a minute. Then she exploded.

"Oh my Gosh! Joan that is amazing!" Steph yelled.

"Shh! Shh! Hunter had that planned for months. Never told me, sneaky--But that's besides the point. When the time comes, would you please come to the wedding?" Joan asked.

"Of course." Steph replied.

"Thank you. I got to go. See you later!" Joan said.

"Cya." Steph replied.

Steph was still trying to process the information running through her mind. Everything had been nuts lately, and Joan had certainly not helped! She was happy for them, yes, but she decided to get a drink of water and try to clam her nerves.

___________________________________________________________________

Well, this chapter ended horribly. I need to learn how to end chapters correctly.

Please be honest with me, did you see that coming? I want a show of comments! (Since hands won't really work here.)

I want to work on the baby's arc, so after Vince's sentence (next chapter, I THINK) we will get on to the birth. I won't be doing too much when the baby is a infant. Too complicated for this writer, and I don't want to ask my Mother questions! She might think I was foolin' around with someone! Don't want that.

Ciao. :)