Consolation

Stevie had just gotten word from her mother that she was on her way. But fortunately, her father had called and said he was on his way. (Note the absence of Selena.) Daryl had asked Stevie for an acting lesson, so they decided to past the time with that. They called their game: "Alena Billington", they pretended to be the fictional Alena and they tried to keep up her personality for as long as they could. Steph walked through the front door with Lucy a few minutes later and greeted her children. She soon went to gather a bulky change of attire and after she finished. Mark walked in.

Daryl and Stevie glanced at each other instantly, Steph's head snapped around and laid a harsh look at Stevie. Mark looked uncomfortable. Obviously had wanted to avoid this as well. Steph turned to leave, grabbing Lucy and Stevie shot up, blocking the door.

"What in hell, are you doing?" Steph growled.

"Would you just sit down and hear us out, please?" Stevie growled back.

Both her parents looked surprised at this attitude change, but Stevie looked like she meant business so Steph sat down. Mark did the same and Daryl relaxed quite a bit.

"Alright, Stevie. What do you need?" Steph asked.

"I want you two to read this, together, like a couple would." Stevie said.

Steph didn't really like this idea, and Mark just stayed quiet.
"Just trust me."

Stevie held out the piece of paper to Steph and she opened it with a gasp when she realized what was inside.

"Mark...Look." Steph said softly.

Mark got up slowly and leaned over Steph's shoulder.

"I thought you lost this." Mark replied, his tone as soft as Steph's.

"I thought I had too. Where did you find it?" Steph asked.

"Behind a photo of you and Dad, this is a photocopy of the original, I didn't want anything to happen to it. Just in case." Stevie responded.

They slowly read over what had been written so many years ago and Steph looked at Mark, she looked ready to cry.

"We promised. We promised Dad wouldn't tear us apart...L-Look what happened to us." Steph said, now she was crying.

"I wouldn't let it go, when I should've." Mark replied.

"But I pressured you. I threatened you! Look what happened, I almost ruined this for us. And we have two teenagers!"

A silence followed and it became uncomfortable. Stevie didn't know what to say, she'd done her part. Right? Was this how you saved your parents marriage?

"It's not your fault, Steph." Mark finally spoke. "We should have thought about this, a long time ago. We should have settled this back in 2001."

"I can't believe we were so stupid...What on earth could these two have felt?" Steph motioned towards Stevie and Daryl. They were old enough to understand, unlike Lucy who just didn't quite get it yet.

"We felt like we had to get you two back together." Daryl said, with a small smile.

Steph laughed through her tears, she was surprised when Mark hugged her. After their embrace, Steph looked at Mark and asked a very serious question:

"Only one of us agreed to marrying the other...Why don't we renew our vows? If you even want to take me back at this point." Steph asked.

Mark smiled. "Sounds good to me, Steph."

Another hug and Daryl looked at Stevie, with a yell, both of them were dancing around laughing, crying, yelling, which got Lucy excited, and brought a smile to their parents faces. This time everyone hugged, and Stevie looked at her Mom.