They're At Our School!

The morning after Torey and I escaped, I went back to Mikey's shop to get my backpack before going back home. As I walked up our beaten-down driveway and the cracked stone steps that led to our front door, I jammed the house key into the lock, jiggling it a few times before turning it waiting to hear the soft click. Right, when I opened the door I was attacked with questions from my older brother.

"Where have you been these past few days?" Brendan asked slamming the door shut behind me.

"Why do you care Brendan?" I asked with a harsher tone than I intended.

"I am your guardian, that's why." He said using the same harshness in his voice.

"I was at Torey's house," I said shrugging my shoulders and walked right passed Brendan to the kitchen, not looking at Colt or Ross.

"Don't you dare walk away Phoenix, did you even think about calling me, Ross, or even Colt, I have been busy at work but it would be nice if you called and told us you were with her."

"Colt knew I was at Torey's," I said motioning to him, "but let me guess you were too busy with the job you don't have," I said leaning against the counter, crossing my arms over my chest.

Brendan clenched his jaw but before he could say anything else his eyes glazed over like usual when he was in deep thought.

Letting out a sigh he ran his hand over his face, "We will finish this later Phoenix, we have to go Ross."

"Shocker," I mumbled if Brendan heard it he didn't show it.Colt and I sat in silence till we heard the front door shut and their car pulls out of the driveway.

Colt shook his head while standing up and walking over to the sink, "I swear Phoenix one of these days you're gonna kill me with worry."

"I'm sorry Colt, I knew I should have told you I was spending the rest of the weekend with Torey but she didn't want to be at home alone," I said walking over to him, wrapping my arms around his waist.

He let out a chuckle and wrapped his arms around me, looking over his shoulder and out the window I saw what looked like two golden eyes staring at me. I blinked a few times and when I looked again they were gone so I thought I imagined it. When Colt pulled back, he had a smile on his face.

"Sucks for those two, they forgot the Child Agent was coming today after school." He chuckled shaking his head but it didn't show through his eyes.

"We're fucked, this will be the third time they haven't been for a meeting. Foster home here we come." I said quietly.

"You should go get ready for school, we can't be late." He said before turning back to the dishes in the sink.

When I walked down the stairs, Colt handed me an Orange and grabbed his car keys off the key ring.

"Alright leggo," He said walking out the front door.

Rolling my eyes, I grab my backpack and make my way out to Colt. While I peeled my orange I glanced out the window and saw the golden eyes from earlier staring back at me. My eyes widened but I shook my eyes blaming it on the lack of sleep when we got to school Colt and I went our separate ways. Popping the last of my orange in my mouth I walked up to Torey, who was waiting on the steps, flipping through her AP History textbook. She scooted to the right so I could sit down but didn't even look up from her book, I put my elbows on my knee's and looked at the school yard. When two familiar faces walked through, my eyes widened and I nudged Torey in her ribs with my elbow.

"Ow what the fuck did you do that for? Just because you're a genius and don't have to study for these things doesn't mean I do," She said glaring at me.

"Look over at the gates," I mumbled ignoring what she said.

She frowned at me and looked at the gates. When she saw the two guys from the coffee shop, her face fell.

"What the hell are they doing here?" She said not really asking me but more of thinking out loud.

"How the hell am I suppose to know, let's just get to class before they see us," I said jumping up and climbing the rest of the way to class with Torey right next to me.

After stopping by our lockers, we walked down the hall trying to get to class before we ran into the two guys. When we walked passed the office, we both let out a groan when Mrs. Lewis called both of our names

"Mrs. Lewis, whatever someone told you; I didn't do it, I haven't gotten in a fight yet," I said being completely serious.

"Yeah, I can promise you. I have been with her all morning, nobody has ticked her off yet that has made her want to kill someone," Torey said shifting her books in her arms.

Mrs. Lewis let out a hearty laugh and shook her head, "Girls Phoenix hasn't done anything, well not that I know of but I need you to show around our two new students around. I went easy on you two and gave them all the same classes."

"Ok, who are they?" Torey asked, both of us not really knowing how to react.

"Come here girls," She said motioning for us to follow her into her small office.

We followed her slowly, giving each other a look. When the door opened both of the boys in the chairs turned around answering our question.

"Girl's meet Ryder and Lance," Mrs. Lewis said with her usual smile on her face.

We both just stared at the boys from the coffee shop who also kidnapped us, this was gonna be fun.