Sent to the Office because of him

To say it wasn't awkward when Mrs. Lewis introduced us would have been a humongous lie. When I shook hands with the dark haired one, whose name was Ryder, shocks shot through my hand like at the coffee shop the other day. I instantly pulled my hand back, a little freaked out because I knew I wasn't imagining it this time. On the way to first block we were in an awkward silence, none of us not really knowing what or really wanting to talk. Our first four block's we were safe from having to talk to them since we were on opposite sides of the room but in 5th period that wasn't the case. Mrs. Lambert, our AP Language teacher, put Ryder right next to me and Torey on the other side of the room next to Lance. She was in the middle of her lecture about the play Hamlet when I caught Ryder staring at me. I ignored it at first but I got more irritated when we were watching a video and that's when I finally snapped.

"Quit staring at me," I whispered not taking my eyes off the screen.

"I am not staring," He said nonchalantly with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Yeah you are," I said turning my head to him and he put a lopsided smile on his face.

"Miss Thompson!" My teacher yelled pausing the video, my classmates not really caring.

Turning in my chair so I was facing her "Yes mam?"

"Why are you talking during my video?" She asked lacing her fingers together raising her eyebrows.

"I was telling Ryder to stop staring at me like a creeper," I said making some people in my class laugh.

Mrs. Lambert sighed and looked at Ryder, "Ryder were you staring at her?"

"No mam." He said acting like he was completely innocent.

"Miss Thompson, you out of all people know that I don't like liar's," She said shaking her head.

"I am not lying, he's been staring at me the whole class period," I snapped not intentionally making it sound harsh.

"I don't like back talkers or your attitude for a matter of fact go to the office," She snapped right back pointing to the door, "Maybe this will teach you not to disrupt my class."

"I'm not..." I tried to argue but she cut me off by giving me her famous glare.

Groaning I slammed my binder shut and shoved it into my backpack before getting up and going to the door, seeing Torey shaking her head in disappointment. Slamming the door as I left, I couldn't stop the small smile on my face when I heard Mrs. Lambert gasp. When I walked through the door Mrs. Lewis smiled and shook her head

"A new record, I was expecting you to be here five minutes after the bell rang for this block," She laughed motioning to my chair she had for me, handing a stack of papers for me to sort.

"Yeah me to but Mrs. Lambert was in lecture mode about the glorious and well-written play Hamlet," I said rolling my eyes, creating three piles to make it easier for me to file.

"What was it this time? Sleeping? Throwing stuff? Drawing pictures of her?" She asked, "It still shocks me how you are passing her class."

"I wish I was sleeping but I was telling the new guy Ryder to quit staring at me but Mrs. Lambert said I was lying, she doesn't do back talk and the tone of voice I was using wasn't allowed in Lambert Utopia" I explained while I walked over to the filing cabinet, "It's a complete miracle that I am, it's a good thing I have a gift for language arts."

"Lambert Utopia that's a new one," She chuckled, "Have you considered doing the early enrollment I told you about?"

"Yes mam I have as much as I would love to do it, I don't think I am smart enough to go to college early" I said.

"Phoenix, you have the highest GPA in your class, your taking all AP classes as a Senior, and your ACT and SAT scores are through the roof. What do you mean your not smart enough," She said turning in her chair looking at me.

"Like I said Mrs. Lewis I would love to do it and it would give me a jump on going to Veterinarian school but Brendan and Ross aren't keen on the idea of me going." I said going back to filing.

"It's not Brendan and Ross's choice Phoenix, what about Colt and Torey? What do they think you should do?" She asked.

"They want me to do it, especially Colt. Then Torey she has the option to but she doesn't have a full ride scholarship like I do, so she's trying to get the rest of the money," I said walking back over to her but before she could continue the bell rang.

"You two come talk to me about it. This is a excellent opportunity that you two shouldn't pass up, you both deserve it." She said.

"Sure thing Mrs. Lewis" I said picking up my backpack and making my way back to Mrs. Lambert's classroom to meet up with Torey.

"What did the warden say this time?" Torey asked pushing off the wall.

"She took my side again and we talked about the whole early enrollment thing." I explained.

"Man, your lucky she loves you," She said shaking her head, "She really wants you to do that thing huh."

"Yeah she does and you have the option to you know. She wants us to come talk to her about it when we get the chance." I said and she replied with a nod.

We turned to the boys who were standing there whispering to each other about a patrol, mates and other stuff we didn't understand. Torey and I looked at each other like they were completely crazy but we cleared our throats anyway, interrupting them. They looked up and Torey smiled

"Ready to go?" She asked and both boys nodded.

Torey and I led they way, curious about what the boys were talking about.