Chapter 33~ Time

Lily's POV

Once again I watched James as he leaned over Jannet's shoulder, laughing at something she had said before he started to kiss her neck as he stood near the Ravenclaw table. An unknown feeling bristled in the bottom of my stomach when Jannet turned her head and they started engaging in tongue hockey. 

I turned away the moment I knew I couldn't watch them anymore, digging my nails into my palm as I heard giggles coming out of Jannet's mouth. Merlin, I can't stand this anymore. A warm hand encasing mine, caused me to jump and look up, straight into a pari of intelligent green eyes; encircled with dark bags. Remus patted my hand reassuringly, causing me to give him a genuine smile as I looked at Remus more closely.

I'd never noticed this, but he was quite attractive, with his light brown hair, deep green eyes and the light smattering of freckles. All together, Remus Lupin was a very attractive boy. A very tired, attractive boy.

"Are you alright," I questioned stupidly, blushing when I realised I had asked a really stupid question, "I-I mean lik-like how is Sirius?"  Why the plimpy am I blushing and stuttering?

Unaware of my internal monologue, Remus sighed, his hand moving from th etop of mine, onto his face as he rubbed his eyes. Fighting the urge to grab his hand and put it back on the top of mine, I fidgeted awkwardly on the bench as Vanessa floated by, sitting on the other side of Remus.

"Everyone alright?" She smiled at Remus and I, before resting her head on his shoulder, causing him to blink, the faraway look in his eyes fading away when he stroked her hair before planting a small kiss on top of her head.

"Yeah," he grinned back, happiness clear on his face as they both gazed into each others eyes, "Everything's good." He paused hesitantly before looking over at Sirius, who was currently guffawing as he stuffed pastries in his mouth, clapping Peter's back in excitement when Peter managed to fit another one in his mouth before roaring with laughter again. "Except..."

"Oh." Was all Vanessa said as all three of us sat together, the smiles dropping of our faces.

"This isn't right," Remus stated, "He shouldn't be- He shouldn't be waking up in the middle of the night, crying and screaming for her, you know, and she shouldn't still be in that awful hospital wing all alone. It's just not right."

He looked at both of us, waiting for us to agree with him. "And that's not right either." He pointed at Jannet sitting on James lap.as they both laughed at something he'd said. Before any of us had the chance to reply, another voice spoke. 

"Definitely not right, he should be pining for Evans." 

Sirius stood in front of us, in all his tired glory. A gaunt pale face surrounded by a mop of dull limp hair that hung down to his shoulder like a daggy curtain. Never had I'd ever seen Sirius looking so horribly shabby that even his hair had lost its curls. 

"Oh wow hey Padfoot," Remus gushed, stumbling over his words as he tried to distract Sirius from processing the words he had spoken earlier, "I thought you were goi-" 

"Who's screaming in the middle of the night," Sirius asked, cutting Remus off mid-sentence, unaware to the look of sheer panic that crossed Remus's, "because I keep on waking up in the middle of the niight and I don't know why. It's really annoying."

 "Oh yeah, that's uh Peter yelling for his uh mum," I quickly fabricated, hoping that he would buy the lie. Merlin, we really need to think of better lies, anyone with half a brain could tell we were lying. Shit, I hope Sirius doesn't pick up on that. 

Thankfully he just nodded, his mind obviously somewhere away from the present as he stared at James and Jannet. 

"When did this happen anyway?" 

He gestured to the pair with disgust clearly written on his face. "James is completely whipped and it's disgusting. Why would anyone want to be in a relationship, it's gross. Almost as gross as that Abigail chick." 

"What," Remus spluttered, spraying his pumpkin juice on Sirius, "what did you say?"

Sirius deadpanned at Sirius, his stone grey eyes piercing into mine for a second before he stared down Remus and repeated his sentence once again. "Abigail. You know that girl with those ugly arms."

"What's wrong with her arms," I snapped, clenching my fists as I had to remind myself not to punch his stupid face in. He just snorted, unaware of how close he was to getting his nose smashed into oblivion, "You know, those  massive raised scars everywhere?" 

The whole hall fell silent as everyone turned to look at us, their eyes wide as they waited to hear more. Remus slapped his hand over Sirius's mouth before he could say anything else but the damage had already been done. 

The hall buzzed back to life, students chattering, passing along the new piece of gossip while I just sat there, blinking as Sirius's words echoed around my head.

Her arms.

Ugly. 

Scars. 

Everywhere.

How had I not noticed? She was supposed to be my best friend for fucks sake. And why didn't she tell me? None of this makes sense, I'd never seen her bare arms before and I live with her for Merlin's sake. 

"Wait how do you know what's on her...arms?" 

Remus questioned, narrowing his eyes at a few gryffindors who had continued to shuffle over until they were pressed right against him before making a shooing motion with his hand. Reluctantly they dispersed, stealing a few glances in our direction occasionally. 

"Hasn't everyone seen them? I'm pretty sure they have" 

"No, I didn't even know Sirius," I truthfully stated, not bothering to hide the bitterness in my tone. She hadn't trusted me enough to even tell me but she'd let Sirius and possibly everyone else see her arms. 

What kind of messed up friendship was this? As long as I can remember, it was always me putting in all the effort and all the time into this friendship but it was like Abigail wasn't even trying. I'd known this for a while but I'd never dared to dwell on the thought. 

Abigail doesn't put any time or effort into anything and she was so full of secrets, I don't even know what's true and what's false. For all I know, she could be a three headed dragon with a severely enhanced skill in transfiguration that allowed her to transform into a human. 

There'd always been something awfully wrong with her, as much as I hate to admit, she'd rubbed me in the wrong way the first time I'd seen her, partly because of Severus. 

He'd pointed out that shy brunette girl standing all alone on the platform and told me not to even talk to her. 

"Lily don't talk to her, don't even go near her, promise me that?"

"Why not Sev?"

"Just promise me Lily, I mean it." 

Bad blood, Severus had said, her father used to visit his parents when he was little. When I'd asked further about it, he'd change the subject so I had given up. BUt then when I found out I was sharing the same dorm with her, things changed. 

But there was no denying there was something odd about her. It was the vacant look in her eyes. Her eyes were full of shadows and darkness that could have only been caused by dark magic. I don't want anything to do with dark magic. 

It was time to let go off Abigail. 

********************************************************

SORRY FOR THE EXTREMELY LATE AND BAD CHAPTER BUT I JUST STARTED SCHOOL AGAIN D: 

BTW ISN'T MILES MCMILLIAN JUST THE PERFECT SIRIUS? IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO FIND HIM HAHA