Chapter 2~ Squid

--- A/N. I changed Evelyn's name to Abigail----

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes of course I'm sure. Sirius Black said so."

"What did he say?"

"Abigail Elston likes Severus Snape."

"Eww. REALLY?"

"Yeah, that's what Sirius said."

I stopped at the entrance of the great hall when I heard these rumours. I turned to look at Lily, she wore a look of sympathy as she looked back at me. i gritted my teeth, clenching my fist as I thought about how much I would love to punch Sirius's face clean off his shoulders. 

"Abby. Just don't do anything else other wise it will become worse," she said, patting my back before tugging me along with her into the hall. 

All the chattering stopped as everyone turned to stare at me. They all wore the same look of disgust on their face except for Black's group, they were all grinning happily and high-fiving each other. 

I gingerly followed Lily and sat down at the Gryffindor table.

And all at once the dam broke and the air was filled with the latest rumours. All about me of course. 

"Why is she even in Gryffindor if she's going to like Snape?"

"I actually thought she was nice, I guess not."

I picked at a scrambled egg as I listened intently to the conversation surrounding me. I looked up to see Sirius smirking at me across the table with a smug expression on his face. I stabbed my fork into the egg wishing it was Sirius on my plate.

"Gosh I thought she was a Gryffindor."

"Yeah I know right!"

"Gryffindors can't like Slytherins."

I clenched my wand tightly in my robes when i heard them mentioning Slytherin. Oh how I wanted to stab Sirius or maybe hex him. I took a sip of pumpkin juice as Lily squeezed my hand re-assuringly. 

"Maybe she was sorted into the wrong house."

I swallowed the juice quickly, in fear of spitting it out at such a preposterous suggestion. That would have been disastrous seeing as Sirius was sitting opposite me, watching my facial expression like a hawk.

"Yeah. She should have been in Slytherin."

"I heard she has an older brother"

"I heard her older brother was in Slytherin."

"Yeah he was head boy."

I choked on air when I heard people talking about my brother. My eyes started to water. 

" Yeah I think Abigail takes after him. If you know what i mean."

"I know right."

"Apparently he was slightly crazy."

I abruptly stood up, averting my face from everyone as I ran out of the Great Hall. The tears were now coming out in streams down my cheeks. I headed over to the lake and curled into a ball next to a tree, staring out into the lake, watching each ripple, wondering if it was caused by the giant squid.

The reason why I'm so obsessed with the giant squid is because it was the only thing that got me through in the first half of my life.

I always dreamed of going to Hogwarts, my older brother had gone there and the stories he told me were magical.

The ones that stuck forever were the stories about the Giant Squid.

About how the squid would save you if you fell in the lake.

How it loved to bask in the sunlight.

How its high pitched squeals would echo throughout the grounds if you tickled it. 

The giant squid became my only source of comfort after my brother... tortu....after he went crazy. I used to curl up under heap of blankets, and hold onto my gigantic squid. I think Muggles called it a stuffed toy. Currently it lay on my bed, it's tentacles splayed out everywhere.

A wave of heat swept through my body. I stiffened. No. It couldn't. He couldn't be here. I looked up and regretted it. His piercing black eyes looked cruelly into my blue eyes. 

"Hello sister," he said coldly, flashing a sickening smile. I was terrified. I couldn't move, I could only watch and scream as I relived my nightmare once again from five years ago. Pain was every where as I twisted and screamed for help.

"No one can hear you dearest sister," he hissed before cackling sadistically. I closed my eyes and sunk into the murky water of my minds lake. There was no giant squid to save me here. 

-------

Everywhere hurt. The fire was gone but had left my body weighted down. Help me! There was no one there. I struggled against the darkness, but it just kept closing in. Finally I gave up. 

The darkness was kind of...nice. And warm. It numbed the pain and held promises, prospects of love. Just as I was about to sink blissfully into death, I heard it.

"ABIGAIL!" 

Someone was shaking me. The pain returned, it was so intense.

I screamed and writhed trying to get away from my nightmare. "PLEASE STOP!" I shrieked as I struggled against the darkness.

The shaking stopped and I sighed, getting ready to sink back into the warm comfortable place.

"I'm so tired," I muttered sleepily to no one as I sank deeper into death's folds.

"Don't go Abigail," someone begged. 

Hmmm. They sounded so familiar. Like Sirius's voice. I sighed, thinking about Sirius. I think I love Sirius. He was just sooo...annoyingly cute. But he hated me.

"Sirius?" I asked quietly.

"Yes?" 

"Can you hold me?" Before I went i just wanted to cuddle with Sirius. Even though he hates me, he should comply with my death wish. I felt strong arms encircle me into something warm and soft. I buried my head deeper into the soft thing. It smelt safe. 

 "I think I love you."

I swear I heard Sirius's low voice say that just before I passed out.

----Yay! What do you guys think?-----