Chapter 18.

When I made it to the office, Jessica was already sat at the reception desk with her glasses on and her hair in a perfect bun on top of her head. I try to avoid eye contact with her as I make my way to my office in the back. "Good morning Alice!" She chirps.

I cringe turning back to look at her, "Good morning Jessica, how are you?" I keep a smile on my face to remain polite.

"I'm great thank you, we missed you yesterday. Though I think Dr. Reece missed you the most." A broad smile plays on my face at the mention of Dr. Reece's name. "Oh, and Dr. James wants to see you. He's in the break room."

"Okay, thanks." I mumble as I walk away to find Dr. James in the break room. He was talking with Dr. Horgan about medicine when I interrupted, "Good morning."

"Ah, Miss Greene, how lovely of you to join us again." Dr. Horgan speaks with a smile on her face.

"Good morning Alice, how was London?"

"It was long for just the weekend." I answer truthfully without giving anything away. I want Dr. James to hear everything from Hayden in their appointment on Monday. They laugh in unison at my answer.

"And how's Hayden?"

"He's good Dr. James, much better than before."

"That's good. I have news for you."

"Good news?"

"Very good news." He smiles. Dr. Horgan leaves Dr. James and I alone to talk. "We have a new client."

"We?"

"Yes, we. He's new, young, and he's yours if you'll accept."

"Of course!" I gush. "I would be honored to."

"As we tried once before, he will be your client and I will sit in the back watching you and keeping notes. After your first session is over, you will write up his report and file it in your own office. He will be your first of many while you're here with us Miss Greene."

I haven't gotten the opportunity to have a redo of my first session with a patient, Hayden's didn't really count because we were in a romantic relationship. As much of a surprise as his news was to me, it still didn't count. I finally get the time to start afresh, though it came at a very hectic time in my life, I'm thankful for it.

"Thank you so much for this Dr. James."

"It's your time Alice. You are ready, I just can't wait until your first year is up with me and you get to take your final exam and receive your license to practice. When that time comes, you will pass the exam with flying colors."

"Fingers crossed." A small nervous chuckle escapes my mouth.

There is something about that test that is nerve wracking. I think it's because I know the first time my mother had taken her test, she was a few years older than me, she failed it and had to wait to retake it. Around the time that she had taken her test, she was distracted with what was going on in her life with other men and a mishap her internship. Her life was a huge mess at that time, or at least that's what my dad told me.

I never got the opportunity to talk with my mother about her past, except the time when she was sleeping with both my dad and Mr. Alexander and then got pregnant with me. I don't have that personal connection I always longed to have with her while I was under the impression that she was dead.

Speaking of my parents, I need to call my dad to see how he's doing. Or at least stop by the house one day. I feel like I haven seen or talked with him in ages.

"I'll be in my office if you need me. Your appointment is at ten. Jessica will stop by your office soon with the file on your patient."

"Okay, thank you again Dr. James."