Chapter 28.

I drove to the courthouse with Wade and I was able to see Hayden for a short time in the hall after speaking with his lawyer and giving him Hayden's suit. We shared a look only for a short moment, and he couldn't even fake a smile on his still bruised face. He's struggling internally in there and I see his pain more clearly now since speaking with Dr. James.

Collin showed up a little late to the courtroom, after the Judge had spoken and gave the floor to Hayden's lawyer. "Did anything happen yet?" He whispers sliding into the seat beside me.

"Not yet, Hayden's lawyer is about to speak." I reply just as quiet trying to focus my attention on what his lawyer has to say. Catching me off guard, instead of Robert standing, some younger male stands from the other side of Hayden. He must work with Robert.

"Your honor," He starts off, his voice is controlled but his tone is excitable. "We would like to ask that Officer Ben Rowen be removed from Mr. Stymest's case. Everything he has done since Miss Burke showed up at the facility to call in her rape allegation, he has done nothing legally. I would like to bring to your attention, newfound information dealing with this case. It's unbe—"

"Get to the point Mr. Coles, I do have other people to meet with. I'm on a very tight schedule." Her tone short and clipped with him. I don't think it was easy for Mr. Johnson to get this hearing and so quickly at that.

"Yes ma'am. We have reason to believe Officer Rowen, the lead officer and arresting officer in my client's case, is in a sexual relationship with the plaintiff, Lina Burke." The judge's eyes widen and I only wish I could see the reaction on both Hayden's and Lina's faces as he says this. I can only assume it's similar to that of the judge's but for different reasons.

"That is a strong accusation Mr. Cole, I hope you have evidence to back it up."

"I do, you honor."

"Objection your honor," Lina's lawyer speaks up, "There is no truth to what he's saying and none of this was brought me or my team at all. He's making this up, for what?"

"Overruled, let me see what you have Mr. Coles."

"We have an audio recording from a protected witness who denies to be named, we have telephone records between the plaintiff and Officer Burke including on the night my client was arrested. Photographic evidence of the pair of them on a date—"

"Okay, one evidence at a time please."

"I present to you exhibit A, your honor, a recorded conversation between the witness. The voice and names have been altered for discretion." The screen is mainly black with a white audio level meter moving as words are exachanged. White words appear at the bottom of the screen, writing out almost everything that was said between Officer Marsh and myself. Officer Marsh's voice as well as my own is deeper than usual, and both of our names are bleeped out.

I find myself continuously looking at Lina and Officer Rowen who sit on the same side opposite of me. Neither Lina nor Hayden have looked back at us, but Lina's lawyer is sharing a few quiet choice words with her. I take it, just like the rest of us, they knew nothing about the relationship between Lina and Officer Rowen.

Officer Rowen is visibly sweating in his seat. I don't think he knew anyone would catch onto him, but someone did, and they came to the right person to get something done about it. Hell, I think if I heard about this sooner, Hayden could have gotten the entire case thrown away way before we even had to get into all of this. There's nothing Officer Rowen's lawyer can say that could help him out. He's dug himself into a dark abyss getting involved with Lina.

When the voice recording ends, the young lawyer speaks again, "My next piece of evidence are telephone records between Lina Burke and Officer Ben Rowen. The highlighted number is Officer Rowen's number."