Chapter 26.

I woke disgruntled unsure of what time it is, what day it is, and where I am. Well, I know now that I'm in bed. The sun is high and bright which means it's day time. And it's the weekend, Sunday to be exact. I try to stretch my limbs but I grunt instead feeling a severe cramp in my neck from the way I was sleeping.

I fell asleep sitting up with my back against my pillows that were leaning against the headboard. My computer was still on my lap from the night before when I was researching pancreatic cancer to get to know more about my dad's condition. Papers with words scribbled in black ink was splattered across the bed by my lap. My wine glass on my nightstand is still halfway full and my phone is ringing and vibrating, causing the wine to move in the glass. Is that what woke me?

I reach for my phone and answer it, removing the hot MacBook from my lap. "Hello?" My voice hoarse from sleep. I clear it before speaking again, "It's Alice."

"Hi Alice," A male voice I don't recognize speaks through the phone. "This is Robert Johnson. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner Miss Greene."

Oh. This guy. I hope he's calling me with good news after yesterday's shit show.

"I'm calling to get back to you about your letter. I must say, it was quite compelling and I was two seconds away from bringing the complete argument to the court, but unfortunately there's no evidence to back up any of Officer Marsh's claims. This is merely hearsay evidence. The judge would look at me like I'm some form of idiot if I were to bring her the words of one officer."

"Isn't it your team's job to collect any evidence to help your case? I brought you an argument and a witness, the rest is up to you." And they say he's the best. I've seen the exact opposite of the best since I've been trying to get in contact with him.

"Right, I will do the best I can to bring Hayden back to you and I'll be sure to keep you informed."

"Okay, thanks," I mumble not waiting for him to say anything else before I end the phone call. I still don't like this man, yet.

I rise from the bed going into the bathroom to shower and freshen up. In the closet, wearing absolutely nothing, my fingers graze over Hayden's dark shirts hung up. Even though it hasn't been a long time since he was arrested, I miss him. I miss our conversations, his laugh, his smile, his lips. I miss his hands and the skillful things he can do with them, I miss all of the countless sex we have. I miss his company, even when I'm angry with him or he's angry with me, I want to still be with him. Not having him here is a big adjustment that I don't want to have to get used to. I want him back.

Instead of putting on my own shirt, I dress myself in his, rolling up the sleeves and leaving the top few buttons undone the way he had always liked. I slip on a pair of light washed jeans and tuck his large black shirt in before slipping my feet in the furry slides I never usually wear.

I'm going to attempt another visit to the jail where Collin was able to speak with Hayden. I know he's there, and I'm not going to quit until I see him. At least that way, some of my nerves and desires to see him will go away. I make sure to grab the letter that I had written for him so Officer Marsh can give it to him on my behalf.

I couldn't be bothered to play any music on the drive to the jail. Usually music is used as a diversion because it's so relatable but I don't think there's a single song out there that could match the way I'm feeling about what going on in my life. I don't have a recreation, I don't have that thing that can distract me from problems besides working and learning. I don't think working and learning every hour of the day is a healthy way to avoid my problems.