Chapter 43.

"It's alright to die, 'Cause death's the only thing you haven't tried, just for tonight, hold on. . ."

(Ed Sheeran - Even My Dad Does Sometimes)

A.N. Please note, if you're suffering from any suicidal thoughts please speak with someone you trust or contact a helpline! My messages are always open, as well as my social media, you may contact me whenever! I love each and every single person, take care of yourselves please! ❤️

_________________________________________________________________

After the long flight, everyone else was lagging and drained, I was the complete opposite. I couldn't wait to get home to finally see Hayden after these days we've been apart. The excitement didn't even cover my behavior as I sat in the backseat of the SUV stuck in traffic listening to music from the radio, my leg bouncing in anticipation. The closer we got to the apartment the happier I became and by the time I reached the door, my cheeks were hurting from the ear-splitting grin I wore.

Using the key to open the door I find Hayden standing at the kitchen sink, running his hands under the water. His neck snaps in my direction at the front door a smile spreading onto his gorgeous face. I practically run into his arms, my head pressed against his chest as his wet hands wrap tightly around me.

"Welcome back." With his hands cupping my face he dips his head down kissing me. Hard. I keep myself up by holding onto his biceps, kissing him back with equal passion.

"Are you hungry?" He asks me, his finger under my chin fondling it, and he kisses me again.

"Starving." My tone giving off that I'm an entirely different level of hungry.

He can sense it and smirks, "Good, dinner is ready."

It was only then I looked around at the apartment. It's lowly lit and the kitchen is completely clean. The dining table holds two plates of food covered with metal bowl-like things. Candles are lit and flowers center the table. "You cooked?" I can't hide my surprise.

Instead of answering he takes my jacket and ushers me to my seat. I watch him hang up my jacket and lock the front door, before joining me at the table and sitting across from me. "Lift your tray." His smile is devious, and I can't help but be skeptical.

Lifting the tray off of my plate I find myself laughing loudly, "Burgers?" In-N-Out french fries and a wrapped burger are sitting neatly on the glass plate. How romantic.

"I promised you a burger date." His smile is infectious. "Is this okay?"

"Hayden, it's perfect, I love it."

"How about now?" Catching me off guard he slides a small velvet box across the table.

"What's this?" My hand is on the box but I don't open it, I look at him perplexed awaiting his answer.

"I told you once before you are my lifeline, without you baby, I am nothing. You have always done everything for me, even when I didn't deserve it. When I talked, you listened. When I was in need, you were there. And when I asked, you stayed. I've never been good at any of this and if I'm being completely honest I'm still not."

My mind can't even begin to process what's happening. The dinner, his words, this box . . . "Hayden, what are you saying?" I ask with wide teary eyes.