Chapter 24.

I couldn't seem to get a good nights rest. I tossed and turned and tossed and turned and tossed and turn all through the night. Whenever I closed my eyes I saw Hayden, but not in a good way.

Hayden was doing horrible things to Lina every time. He went from having sex with her to physically abusing her and as his hands are around her throat it turned into me and he was choking me instead. When he realized it was me he stopped almost immediately but the nightmares were gruesome and frightening. They finally stopped appearing some time around four in the morning and I was able to sleep.

Until I woke up at eight to get myself ready to go to the jail to attempt a visit with Hayden. I am now standing in a long line waiting to speak with someone in the prison. It's only 9 AM, I never expected this place to be this crowded so early.

I am tired, and physically and mentally drained. I haven't had a good nights rest since Hayden left me to meet with Matthews—or should I say Lina. I was worried then that something bad was going to happen, I just didn't expect it to be this.

"Next in line!" I hear and I jolt towards the plastic window separating me and the woman. "What can I help you with?" Her voice monotone and dull.

"I'm here to visit Hayden Stymest."

She doesn't say anything as she types into the computer, the keyboard clicking obnoxiously loud. "There's no one here by that name. Next in—"

"Whoa, wait, what do you mean he's not here?"

"Do I need to spell it out for you? The person you're looking for is not here. Go elsewhere." Her tone dripping with vehement annoyance. She's being extremely rude for no apparent reason.

"I know he's here." Where else would he be if he isn't here? This is the jail closest to us and the Burke's mansion. Would they take him somewhere far to keep him away from me?

"What's the inmate's number?"

"How am I supposed to know that information? I haven't spoken with him. He just got arrested two nights ago."

"He must have not been registered into the system yet." She answers dismissively. "Next person in line!"

Before I can object, I am being pushed away from the desk by a woman who was standing in line behind me. I waited this past day for nothing? This is all I get? A rude woman in a uniform who barely gives me a second of her day to allow me to see Hayden?

I was on my way out of the door to get to my car when a man stops me. He is an officer, he's one that I recognized from Hayden's first arrest. He was the one pushing me further away from Hayden. "Alice?" He must have remembered me from the interrogation room.

"Yes?" I can't hide my distaste in my tone. I don't know what he could possibly want from me.

"Uh, how are you?"

"I've been better." I answer him and continue walking to get to my car.

"How's Hayden doing?" What a strange question.

"I wouldn't know Officer Marsh, they won't let me see him."

"Oh." Is all he says. I want to ask him about his role in all of this. Is he boycotting Hayden's rights too? Is he one of those officers who won't let him near a phone or allow him any visitors?

Before I can ask, he answers my question with a vague statement of his own, "What they're doing isn't right."

"What does that mean?" I was curious to know his take on all of this. Was there a rule between the officering staff in place to take Hayden's rights away? Is there anything Hayden's lawyer can do about this?