The Mentalist One Shot (written for me on Quizilla)

Name: Rochelle "Rocky" Sciuto

Looks:5'8" dirty blonde hair, aquamarine eyes, slightly tanned, hourglass figure

Personality: tomboy, scrapper, kind, motherly, stubborn, funny, uses sarcasm to hide her emotions when she's upset, Curious, Dreamy, Quick Witted

Likes: Reading, writing, rock country and pop music, tea especially jasmine tea, the colours red and black, the rocker style, playing her guitar and her piano, fighting, pranks, cooking, Patrick Jane and his methods, kids

Dislikes: stupidity, dumb blonde jokes, red heads, Lisbon, drama, boring stuff, sexual harasment lectures, the colour pink

Friends: Jane, Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt plus her BFF is her sister Abby(yes from NCIS)

Enemies: Lisbon, Red John, and anyone who's anti-Goth

Crush: Patrick Jane

One Word To Describe Your Character: Misunderstood

Background Notes: her sister is Abigail Sciuto from NCIS Rocky herself is the liason for CBI and the LA NCIS office. She was a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps until she was honourably discharged. She has profiling training

Anything Else You Think I Should Know: she can read lips and speak sign language

“So, tell me, Rocky, why was the blonde staring at the orange juice?” asked Rigsby.

Rochelle Sciuto pushed her blonde hair behind her ears. “Rigs, I’ve told you, I hate those darn jokes!” she snapped.

“Me too,” agreed Patrick Jane, raking a hand through his curly blonde hair.

“I love ‘em,” Lisbon said, patting her silky black hair. “But this isn’t the place for jokes, Rigsby.”

“Aw, lighten up, Boss,” advised Rigsby. “We’ve nothing much to do, and it’s the party tomorrow.”

“Gee, the party,” sighed Rocky. At the end of the year, the CBI team always had a party to celebrate what they had achieved, remember those who had given their lives in service to others, and be thankful that they were still alive. Because, like it or not, it was a tough job. And, though they didn’t like to think about it, every day could be their last.

“Are we allowed to bring a date, Boss?” Rigsby asked, looking at van Pelt.

Lisbon made a face. “I guess Hightower will turn a blind eye for once,” she said, finally.

“Cool,” remarked Cho.

“Who are you going with, Patrick?” asked Rocky.

Patrick Jane shrugged. “Might not go at all.”

Rocky’s face fell. She knew it wouldn’t be the same if Patrick wasn’t there. “Oh well,” she said, trying to sound casual. “Have a good evening. Whatever you do.”

“I will,” Patrick replied.

*

“You look amazing!” exclaimed Rigsby when he saw Rocky. She was wearing a red dress that perfectly showcased her hourglass figure. She had matching red dangly earrings, high-heeled strappy shoes and bright red lipstick.

“Yeah. Nice outfit,” Cho said.

“Thanks,” she replied, glancing round. “Jane didn’t show, did he?”

“Nope,” Rigsby said.

Rocky sighed. She looked round at the dancing couples and the bright lights. It was all kind of pointless if Patrick wasn’t there.

She made a quick decision and slipped outside into the cool fresh air. No one noticed that she had gone and she started running to the car park. She drove back home, feeling a bit low. She was only just starting to confront her feelings about Patrick. She had tried to tell herself she only saw him as a co-worker, because a relationship between them wouldn’t be permitted. But now she knew that the only reason she had been looking forward to the party was because she had hoped Patrick would be there.

Rocky shook her head. Her sister, Abby, had warned her about stuff like this! Still. There wasn’t much you could do, really. She thought of Patrick, the way his smile made his face crease in the most adorable way. She sighed and stopped the car in her drive. Already her heels were starting to pinch as she limped up the path. She fumbled with her keys in the lock, and then her heart skipped a beat as she realized the door was unlocked and lying slightly open… She knew she had locked her door before she left!

She took a deep breath and instinctively reached inside her pocket for a gun. Then she remembered she was wearing her stupid dress! She darted quickly back to the car and pulled a gun out of her glove compartment, making sure it was loaded before going back to the house.

She walked in slowly, keeping her back against the wall and moving sideways. She pushed open every door, checking carefully.

And that’s when a hand snaked round her waist and another hand cupped round her mouth.

Rocky’s first instinct was to scream, but she quickly kept it under control. She closed her eyes and let her training take over, shifting her weight to counter her opponent’s, bringing her elbow sharply back to his stomach and relishing the satisfying grunt as he hit the floor. She wheeled round and switched on a light. She gasped as she saw Patrick Jane lying on the floor, rubbing his head.

“Rocky!” he snapped. “I came round for a social call, not a lesson in Karate!”

“Sorry,” she replied, wanting to giggle, since he looked so adorably irritated. She bent down beside him. “Did I hurt you?”

“I’ll live,” he answered. “How was the party then? You look nice, by the way.”

“Thanks. It was OK.” She didn’t say what she wanted to say which was: It sucked, ‘cos you weren’t there.

“Then why are you still here when it’s only just begun?” he asked, leaning on one elbow.

Rocky glared at him. Sometimes she hated the way Patrick could almost read her mind. “Because,” she said, slowly. “Parties aren’t really my thing. And, anyway, what are you doing in my house?”

Patrick smiled. And that was enough to make all Rocky’s anger vanish. “I was just passing,” he said, casually.

“No one ‘just passes’ my house,” Rocky replied. She was about to stand up, but Patrick caught her hand.

“OK, the truth?” he asked.

“Truth would be good,” Rocky replied. His grip on her hand didn’t lessen. If anything, he drew her closer.

“I wanted to see you alone,” he said, simply.

“Why?” asked Rocky.

“Because I wanted to do this.” He angled her head towards his and kissed her until her lips felt numb and until her heart started racing.

He pulled back and Rocky looked at him. She knew Patrick Jane was a complicated man who came with a great deal of history. She had heard that he never got over the murder of his wife and daughter. And yet, her he was, lying on her kitchen floor kissing her.

“Patrick, I…”

“Ssh.” He placed a finger to her lips. “Don’t say it. Yes, I do love you. I loved Angela when I was young and foolish, and a part of me will always love her, but never the way I love you.” He cupped his hand behind Rocky’s head.

“But… the rules say…”

“Blast the rules.” He drowned out her protests with a melting kiss that made Rocky breathless. She closed her eyes, letting her instincts take over. Patrick was right. Who cared about the rules? Just for tonight, they could forget all about them. Rocky grinned impishly and concentrated fully on what Patrick was doing to her, the way he made her spine tingle just by running his fingers down it. Their lips parted and Rocky leaned her head on Patrick’s shoulder. He bent down and kissed her neck, making her shiver with delight, and then he was tipping her head up, raining kisses on her face, her hair, whatever part of her he could reach. Rochelle smiled. Yeah. Blast the rules.