thirty-six

It was the next morning. Stiles dropped me off at home. Clearly, he wanted me not to be a part of his idiotic plan. And to be honest... I was relieved. I knew that whatever they had planed wouldn't work out. I mean it's Scott and Stiles we're talking about.

I was supposed to meet Allison in front of her locker before econ but she was MIA just like Jackson, who was obviously still stuck with Scott and my loser boyfriend. So the only person I could hang out during the school day was Lydia. And knowing her well enough, I knew that she would be in the library before her homeroom.

As I made my way to the library my ears picked up a conversation which couldn't be misheard for me.

„Your father and I happen to be having that very problem. We've got an enemy which we know next to nothing. It killed one of our own, among others."

It was Gerard. His voice couldn't be overheard. I followed his deep and raspy voice and ended in front of the principals office.

„I've heard." Allison said who was in there with Gerard.

I dropped myself down on the bench in front of the principals office, trying not to be seen my Gerard as he stood up from his desk chair.

„Did you hear Jackson Whittemore didn't show to school today?" he asked Allison.

„He didn't?" Allison questioned her grandfather, clearly lying since Scott texted her earlier this morning before they dropped me off.

„His parents called and so did the police. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" he asked her once again but Allison kept shaking her head no.

„Well, let me tell you what I know. I know that a teenager's first instinct is to protect their friends and I believe my granddaughter would always want to protect her friends, even if it meant lying. So, I want to ask one more question..." he started and walked over to the window in his office, clearly being able to see me sitting by the bench but he ignored me, making his way back to Allison and positioned his hands on her shoulders.

„... and this time, with a small advantage. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to get a sense of your pulse." he said as he placed this fingers on her neck, trying to find her pulse. I smelled Allison's fear. She was scared of her grandfather and I would be, too. Having such a grandfather as Gerard would be scary enough but having her parent's too would be too much for me.

„Think of it as a game. All you have to do is tell the truth... Do you know anything about Jackson being missing?" he finally asked.

Allison tensed, her pulsed increased and skipped a beat as she said „No."

„Is he in trouble" Gerard kept questioning her.

„I- I- I don't know. I don't know" she whimpered.

„Does this have anything to do with Scott?"

„No... I mean, I don't... I don't know!" she answered.

„Your pulse jumped" Gerard realized as Allison jumped up, turning around and faced her grandfather. „It's because you're scaring me."

„Oh, I'm sorry sweetheart. That was definitely going way too far" Gerard apologized. „It wasn't right for me to use tactics like that. I'm sorry. You can go back to class."

I jumped up as the door opened and Allison walked out.

„Hey Amber, what are you doing here?" Allison asked me as she noticed me standing there awkwardly.