twelve

The boys were in the locker room while I waited outside. I wasn't going to go in there one more time. It smelled terrible in there. All those different after shaves and deodorants mixed together was disgusting.

"Okay Amber, tell me one more thing. Why didn't you start to change?" Stiles asked as they got back. "I... I don't know. Derek told me to find an anchor" I answered.

"An anchor? What the hell is that?" Scott asked.

"You don't know the meaning of an anchor?" I asked Scott. "Am I supposed to?"

I groaned "An anchor stands for strength and stability, something that keeps you steady."

"Oh you mean like something that prevents you to go wolf?" Stiles asked. "Right."

"And what is you're anchor?"

"Loneliness, I guess" I confessed. Both of them didn't get it. "I felt misunderstood the whole time. I was alone. I had no one. My sister was at work and I used to be alone for at least fourteen hours a day. I don't want to be left behind, again" I muttered.

Scott patted my back while Stiles laid his arm around my shoulder. "No one can separate us, Amber" he said as we walked to our econ class.

"Let's go. Sit, sit, sit, sit. We got a lot to cover today. Let's go! Quicker!" Coach Finstock ordered. I walked to my seat and sat down. Stiles was about to take his seat but Scott stopped him "Stiles!" Allison was going to take the seat behind Scott and since he decided to ignore her, Stiles had to sit behind him but he was too late. Allison dropped her book on the table and signalized Stiles that the seat was taken. "Okay..." Stiles mumbled and sat in front of me.

"I haven't seen you all day" I heard Allison talking to Scott.

"Uh. Yeah, I've been... uh super busy" Scott said. "When are you gonna get your phone fixed? I feel like I'm totally disconnected from you."

"Uh, soon. Real soon" Scott replied. "I changed lab partners by the way" Allison told him. "Oh. To who?"

"To you, dummy."

I groaned and tried not to listen to their conversation but it was impossible not to. Scott was a miserable liar. I tapped Stiles on his shoulder and he turned around "What?"

„Seems like I'd be stuck with you in chem" I said.

"What why? I'm partners with Scott" he asked. "Well, if you listened to their conversation about thirty seconds ago you would've heard it. She changed lab partners. Now I don't have a partner and you don't have one, neither. Count one and one together..."

"That makes two" he laughed.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"No, i got it. I totally got it. I-"

"Let's settle down. Let's start with a quick summary of last night's reading. Greenberg put your hand down. Everybody knows you did the reading... How about, uh McCall!" Finstock said.

"What?" Scott asked, clearly not prepared for it. "The reading."

"Last night's reading?" he asked.

"How about, uh, the reading of the Gettysburg Adress?" Finstock said, ironical.

"What?"

"That's sarcasm. You familiar with the term sarcasm, McCall?" Coach asked. Scott nodded. "Very" he said and turned his head to face Stiles.

"Did you do the reading?" Coach asked.

"Uh- I think I forgot" Scott confessed.

"Nice work McCall. It's not like you're not averaging a D in this class. Come on buddy. You know I can't keep you on the team if you have a D" Coach warned him.