twenty-one

"So what are you?" I asked Deaton as he stitched Scott up who was apparently on the other table. "I'm a veterinarian like I said before" he answered. "But what are you when you're not treating cats and dogs"?

"You're much more wiser than you think, Amber" he said.

"What do you mean with that?" I asked.

"You're mother was a good werewolf. She never killed someone" he told me.

"You knew my mom?" I questioned.

"Yes. And I knew your dad as well" he replied, putting a band aid on Scott's fresh wound.

I thought for a few seconds before I asked him another question, "You knew what kind of bullets those were, right?

I stood up and took one of the bullets, observing them. "I've seen them before. They're filled with wolfsbane. We saved Derek once after they shot him with one of those."

Deaton never said a word. He took the bullets and threw them away. I sat down again and watched him cleaning his equipment and supplies. "You're an emissary, aren't you?"

"You're even wiser than I thought, Amber" he said.

"Answer my question!" I told him.

He turned around, "Your father and I used to serve the alphas together."

"Who did you serve for?" I asked.

"Talia Hale" he replied.

"Derek's mother" I mumbled.

Scott who was lying on the table next to me, opened his eyes and stood up. Deaton rushed to his side and helped him to stand straight. "Welcome back to the land of conscious. You doing okay?" he asked Scott.

Scott took a breath and put his hands behind him on the table. "Maybe you should sit down, huh?"

The main door opened, making the door bells ring. We all turned around and watched the door. „Hello?" Deaton shouted. It was quiet. No one answered. Deaton gave us a heart warming smile before he disappeared to the front.

"I'm sorry, but we're... We're closed" he mumbled.

"Hi there" someone said.

I recognized his voice. It was Peter. Peter Hale.

"I'm here to pick up."

"I'm not sure I remember you dropping off" Deaton retorted.

"Those two wandered in on their own" Peter answered.

"Even if they did, I'm afraid I can't help you. We're closed" Deaton said once more.

"Well, I think you can make an exception this one time. Don't you?" Peter asked.

"I'm sorry. That's not going to be possible. Maybe you could come back during regular hours" Deaton responded.

"You have something of mine. I'm here to collect it" Peter said.

"Like I said, we're closed."

"Mountain ash" Peter mumbled. "That's an old one."

Mountain ash? What did he mean with Mountain ash?

"Let me be as clear as possible. We. Are. Closed" Deaton repeated.

"There are others who can help me get what I want. More innocent... and far more vulnerable" Peter whispered to us, knowing exactly that we were listening to their conversation.

"Allison!" Scott mumbled. "We gotta find Allison, Amber. She's in danger!"

"But what about school?" I asked looking at my watch. "It's six a.m" I groaned.