Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)

Note: This is the first chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Book One

Dark Shadows

Concealed and elusive as the night;

Darkness abounds invading my plight.

What mystery makes strangers so bold?

Embarking on a journey too great to behold.

Cloaked whispers and secrets abound

While darkness’ past is found.

Dancing and writhing in candle’s flame

Dark shadows conspire just the same.

Take your whispers and all that is said.

I’ll pursue you even after you’ve bled.

Chapter I

Nylana

Commotion arose in the otherwise peaceful marketplace of Norlyk as a group of heavily armed soldiers dragged a young boy to its center.  The boy kicked and screamed as he was thrown roughly down on the ground in front of the sergeant.  The soldier grabbed the boy’s hand and yanked it toward him, stretching it out.  The frantic boy wrenched back and forth in an attempt to break free.  The soldier’s grip tightened.

“For stealing you are hereby condemned to the loss of a hand,” said the sergeant raising his sword high as more gathered within the crowd.  “In the King’s name, I carry out this punishment.”

“Is that so?”

Everyone immediately fell to their knees as a brilliantly dressed lady rode up on a white stallion bearing the crest of the king.  She pushed the hood of her cloak back revealing the crown upon her golden brown hair.  Lady Nylana towered over the crowd in full glory.

The soldier’s sword clattered on the ground as he bowed low before her.  “My lady,” he stammered.

“It is my understanding that such punishments were outlawed long ago,” said Nylana, “And have never been reinstituted.”

“This boy was caught stealing,” replied the shaky sergeant.

“The law states that he is to be brought before the Magistrate to be tried.  Why have you not done this?”

“My lady,” started the sergeant, “He—I— ”

“Narúl,” said Nylana, “Cut off his hand.”

A black, muscular man stepped forward, a stark contrast to the pale faces surrounding him.  He seized the sergeant with his strong hands and pinned him to the ground.  Narúl stretched out the man’s hand before him.  The sergeant gaped in fright as the roles had been reversed on him. 

“No!  No!  My lady, please,” the man screamed.

Nylana watched the proceedings with an emotionless stare.  “You were quick to deal out the same punishment to the boy moments ago,” she said, “Do not be so hasty to deal out such punishments unless you yourself are willing to suffer the same fate. 

“Narúl.”

Narúl raised his gleaming sword high above his head.  It swooshed through the air as he brought it down.  Dust flew as the blade struck the ground beside the sergeant’s untouched hand.  Narúl released the relieved man and reclaimed his place by Nylana’s side.