Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)

Note: This is the 27th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Zhapter VIII

Solemn Pursuits

 The newly freed refugees waited upon the hill where Nylana had instructed them to flee to earlier.  They gathered around her wanting answers for why their homes had been destroyed.  Answers she could not give.  She looked at the forlorn faces around her.  What now, she thought to herself.

"Who are those people?" one woman asked.

"Invaders from the north," replied Nylana.

"But why have they come?" asked the woman.

"Does it matter?" replied Trya.  "They are here.  That is all that is important."

"What did I tell you?" said a man, "Those above you care nothing for you.  They sit on their manors surrounded by luxuries while we perish.  We should abolish these distinctions that separate us."

"And how exactly would that have saved you from the immediate problem of the invaders?" asked Magi with disdain in her voice.

"Perhaps if we were not all consumed by our own interests we would have seen them coming." said the same man.  "The king grows fat while we suffer here.  And where is he?  Where is his army?"

"I am here," said Nylana, the fire returning to her eyes.  "My brother has sent me to help you.  We—" Nylana indicated her, Trya, and Valn, "—have freed you from your imprisonment.  And yet you blame those above you for your ills.  Have you sought the means to protect yourselves?"

The faces around her looked downcast.

"You are a princess," said the same man, "Born and raised in the luxuries of a palace.  What do you know of suffering?"

Nylana looked the man squarely in the eyes.  "Much," she said; her voice deadly.

"Why should we go with you?" demanded the man.

Nylana refused to answer him.  She surveyed the faces around her growing impatient with them.  "I am heading to MurDair.  Any of you who wish to join me, feel free to do so.  Otherwise, remain here.  The choice is yours."

Nylana walked away.  She did not look behind no longer caring about who chose to follow her.  Trya, Valn, and Magi trailed behind not giving a moment's thought for those they just rescued. 

Gradually, the newly freed refugees fell in line behind Nylana, including the man who had challenged her earlier.  None wanted to be left on their own to face their captors.

 *                  *                  *

 Krispyn sat on his throne with two walnuts in his hand.  He listened as Shelwyk recited reports from messengers.  He scrunched his hand cracking the nuts within it.  "In addition to La'nar, entire towns and villages have also been destroyed," finished Shelwyk.

"How can this be?" asked Krispyn.

"The barbarian invaders were well-armed and prepared for these attacks.  They have been planning it for months," replied Shelwyk.

"The fortress of La'nar is well protected.  Such an attack would require inside knowledge, would it not?"

"Yes, it would appear so, my lord."