Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)

Note: This is the 35th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter III

Over the Mountains

Cold air swept through Artryl's hair, but the warmth of Trog's grip prevented him from freezing as they soared through the sky.  The tops of the mountains slowly moved below him as they passed over; many of them snowcapped.  As Artryl observed them with fascination, he noticed an avalanche on one.  Intrigued, the boy watched as mounds of snow and ice tumbled down the mountain side into the depths below, obliterating anything in its way.

Trog's panting chest beat against Artryl's back as his thin wings propelled them forward against the wind.  He knew the animal tired, but Nylana wanted that message to reach her brother before it was too late.  Even by flight, it would take several days as Trog could only travel a few hours before needing to rest.

Artryl's stomach lurched as they dropped a bit.  "It's okay, boy," said Artryl.  "Can you make it past the highest parts of the mountains?"

In answer, Trog beat his wings harder lifting them higher.  His tail swayed behind them sticking out straight as the animal streamlined his body.

Frigid wind washed over them as they moved onward while Artryl kept his eyes peeled for a safe place to land and rest.  Nothing.  White mountain tops still dominated the landscape below him.  They lurched again. 

Knowing that Trog could not go on much longer, Artryl looked ahead hoping to find something.  A spot of brown caught his attention.  Hoping he hadn't imagined it, he pointed it out to Trog.  "See that over there?"

Trog waved his tail in answer.

"We should be able to rest there."

Banking to the left, Trog held his wings horizontal as he glided to the brown spot.  Gradually, they dipped lower.  With controlled movements, Trog carried them to where Artryl had indicated.  He swooped low almost touching the ground.  Releasing his grip, Trog dropped the boy on the small area before going back up into the sky and making a second pass.  He collapsed on the ground next to Artryl.  The boy patted his head and comforted him noting how exhausted the animal was. 

"You did well.  We'll rest here a bit."

Trog snuggled into Artryl placing his head in the boy's lap before falling fast asleep.  Pleased that their trip had been uneventful thus far, Artryl rested his head on Trog's and closed his eyes.  Soon both their chests rose and fell in the rhythm of sleep.

 *                  *                  *

 "My lord," said a messenger, "He is here."

"Send him in," said Vasagius.

In walked the cloaked figure.  Vasagius studied the man hoping for a glimpse of his face, but never managed to get it.

"You wished to see me," said the cloaked figure.

"Yes," said Vasagius, "I have been thinking about our arrangement."

"Oh?"

"I think it is time we change the nature of our agreement."

"Do you now?" said the cloaked figure.  "And what makes you think that I will accept your new terms?"

"Do not threaten me," growled Vasagius, "You may frighten my men, but I am not so easily intimidated."

"Only fools do not fear me."