Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)

Note: This is the 5th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter IV

The King of Pras'quel

Nylana paced her room furiously. More than a week had passed and still no audience with the king. She hated these games.

A rap at the door drew her attention. Hurriedly, Nylana opened it. Welton stood before her. "Well?"

"I am sorry, my lady, but the king is indisposed. He cannot meet with you today," said Welton.

"There is always some excuse. I have been here for eleven days. When will I meet with your king?"

"I'm sorry-"

"Sorry? You are always sorry," stormed Nylana, "First he was meeting with the lords of his council. Two days ago he left the palace. What is his excuse this time?"

"He has matters of state that are more pressing."

"I tire of this." Nylana marched into the corridor shoving Welton out of her way. With all of her spare time, she had learned the maze of hallways well and knew the way to the throne room.

"My lady, please," pleaded Welton as he chased her. "You cannot-"

"Oh, but I can. And I will," said Nylana, "It has become clear to me that you are merely here to waste my time."

Swiftly, she moved through the corridor with its few torches providing the only light, her skirts rustling behind her. She wound her way around corners and through open areas.

Finally, the door to the king's courtroom appeared. A lone guard stood there. Nylana marched up to him determined not to be turned away.

"Let me pass," she demanded.

"No one goes before the king without his authorization," said the guard. "Especially not a woman."

Nylana pushed the guard aside; the amount of force she used caught him by surprise. She heaved open the giant wooden doors and marched into the king's hall. Everyone within the room jumped to their feet. Murmurs filled the air and spread rapidly upon her intrusion. Holding her head high, Nylana strode down the aisle toward the king.

"What means this interruption?" demanded the king.

"I demand to speak with you," said Nylana.

"Have you no courtesy?" said the king.

"I am the Lady Nylana from Tesnayr on an envoy to meet with you. For eleven days you have kept me waiting. My inquiries have been left unanswered," said Nylana.

"The servants were instructed to meet your every wish."

"They followed their instructions well for they treated me with the same civility as their king." Nylana's words echoed around the room.

The king's face turned red at such insults, but he dared not lose his temper. Nylana was a representative from another country and custom had to be upheld. "Leave us." he told those within the chamber. "You are here, no doubt, because of the grain."

"For months you have withheld your grain from the lands of Tesnayr. We have sent you the livestock as agreed. Yet, you failed to keep your end of the bargain."

The king smiled at her. "I am changing the agreement. I demand that your king send us more of your livestock as well as a certain metal that you seem to have in abundance. I want five hundred crates of that iron, as you call it, and then you will have your grain."

"Unacceptable," said Nylana. "My people need that grain."

"Perhaps you should have the wizards in your land conjure it up," mocked the king. "My people did away with such riffraff long ago."

"You will get no iron from us."

"Then perhaps you should go home and tell your king to send someone better able to negotiate. That is, if he is still the king. A weak land you have, subjecting your kings to the whim of a council." The king's face coiled into a sneer.

"At least our kings are honorable. It is better than exalting a man who fails to keep his word," snapped Nylana.

The king shot to his feet. "You are free with your tongue. Women in my kingdom know their place. I'll not be talked to in such a manner."

"Indeed, your majesty," said Nylana, "I know the state of your people. I know that their farms have failed. Made barren by the early frost. Your people are starving. You need the harvests we provide. How long do you think your people will go hungry before they rebel? My people may need grain, but we can get it elsewhere.

"Perhaps we shall cancel our relations. I will go to a land with a more reputable king." Nylana inclined her head slightly and turned to leave.

"Wait! Perhaps some agreement can be met. You will get the grain that was promised," said the king.

"We shall agree in writing."

"In writing!"

Nylana waived one of her aides forward. He unfolded two pieces of parchment, with the contract she had drawn up, before the king.

"Apparently, verbal agreements are not binding enough. We will both sign and seal a written contract. I took the liberty of having one drawn up. What you see before you are two copies of the same pact. You will keep one here and I will take the other with me. As I understand it, you must abide by anything you sign and seal or your crown is forfeit."

The king glared at Nylana. He hated this woman who talked down to him. He wished he could make her a servant in the kitchens. There he would teach her some respect. His wish remained unspoken. The king snatched up a quill and dipped it in ink. Reluctantly, he signed both contracts and pressed his seal next to his signature.

Nylana's aide rolled up both pieces of parchment handing one to the king and the other to her. "I thank you. Good day, your highness," she said.

"My lady," the king said through gritted teeth.

Nylana left the king's court quickly making her way back to her rooms. She summoned one of her aides. "Take this," she said handing him the signed parchment, "Travel as a commoner and barter passage on a ship. Make your way straight to Norlyk and give this to King Krispyn. Make certain you are not seen leaving the palace or followed."

The aide bowed and left clutching the contract tightly.

"Emri," Nylana continued, "Pack our things. We leave tonight."

The maid bowed and set about her task.

"Sergeant." The well-armed man ran up to her, saluting. "Find us some horses, a carriage, anything so that we may leave hastily. We will leave by the side gate. And make certain you are not seen."

The sergeant darted off.

"What is it, my lady?" asked the maid.

"I believe we have overstayed our welcome," replied Nylana.

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!