Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)

Note: This is the 4th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter IV

Pras'quel

Land approached. Excitement filled Nylana as she stood on the topmost deck observing the men work while they steered the ship into port.

"Reef the sails," ordered the captain. "Secure the lines!"

Men darted about rolling up the mainsail and hoisting lines. Nylana watched in awe finding the sailors' actions fascinating. Gradually, the ship turned to the right as it eased into the dock.

"Drop the port anchor!"

The men released the anchor chain dropping the anchor to the sandy bottom and hold the ship.

"Here," the captain tossed a line to a passing sailor, "Secure us to the dock."

The man caught the rope and scrambled to the pier fastening it tightly.

"Fetch the princess' belongings," ordered the captain. He turned to Nylana with a broad smile. "My lady, welcome to Pras'quel."

The captain led Nylana to the ramp that connected to the pier. Gracefully, she stepped onto it maintaining her balance as best she could. Willing her sea legs to grow accustomed to dry land, Nylana strolled down the wharf to a waiting area.

An elegant carriage pulled up stopping directly in front of her. The door opened. Out stepped a man finely dressed in shimmering black robes bowing low before her.

"Lady Nylana, I am Welton, advisor to the king. The king apologizes for not welcoming you personally, but alas, he had matters to attend. Will you allow me to accompany you?"

"Thank you, Welton. Your company will be most appreciated," Nylana replied.

Welton flicked his hand. Instantly, two men snatched up her trunks and hoisted them onto the top of the carriage.

The snap of a whip caught Nylana's attention. She turned in its direction and watched as a group of ragged men in chains were shoved forward. Slaves, she thought. The whip cracked again. One man bore its wrath and crumpled in pain. Disgusted, Nylana bit her tongue to remain silent. Alone and on a mission, she could ill afford to anger anyone.

"Is something wrong, my lady?' Welton held the door to the carriage for her.

"Just the awe of a new place," said Nylana, trying her best to sound joyful. She motioned for those that accompanied her to fall in behind the carriage.

"Before you leave here, it will be as much your home as it is mine."

Welton helped Nylana into the carriage and climbed in behind. They sat opposite each other. With a snap of the reins, the carriage ambled away from the pier and to the road out of the port city heading for the castle.

The coach rocked side to side as it rolled along the bumpy road. Nylana passed the time by staring out the window. Much of the landscape reminded her of home, but without the magic; the flowers held no song and the trees glared at her.

Another whip startled her. They had come upon a group of people travelling by foot. More slaves. Nylana did her best to remain impassive as they passed groups of men, women, and children all chained together and forced to march barefoot. Hatred rose within her.

The wet eyes of a child stared hollowly at her. Moved, Nylana swallowed the lump in her throat forcing herself to control her emotions. One in particular drew her attention.