Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)

Note: This is the 2nd chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter II

Dark Musings

Krispyn stared out the triangular window at the dark city below.  Not even a moon shed any light upon the quiet night.  The impending review by the council and the new dispute with Pras’quel weighed heavily upon the young king.  He always relied on his advisor for comfort in times like these, but even now, Krispyn wished to be alone.  But solitude would not be his this night.

 “My king,” said the king’s advisor, Shelwyk, “The council’s review weighs heavily on your mind.”

 “Of course it does,” replied Krispyn.  “Six years I have been king and now I must be judged by my performance.  I could lose everything.”

 “The council could decide to grant the crown to your sister,” said Shelwyk.

 “Nylana has no desire for the throne,” said Krispyn.

 “Nevertheless, they could choose her.  She is well known for her kind heart and generosity.  People admire her for her commitment to justice and her sound mind.”

 “She would never accept it.”

 “Yet, she might,” said Shelwyk.  “The law is clear.  If the heir to the throne dies before he can claim it, then the crown passes to the second male child.  For a period of six years he is allowed to reign before the Council reviews his performance.  If they approve then he, meaning you, can remain king.  But if they disapprove, then the crown passes to the next eldest sibling. 

 “Nylana is your only sibling.  But if there is no other, then the crown must remain with the present king.  If Nylana were to—”

 “What are you suggesting?” demanded Krispyn.  “I know the law.  Yet, Nylana has never indicated she wanted the throne.  She is content to remain as she is.”

 “She did challenge you this morning.” goaded Shelwyk.

 “She has always voiced her opinions.  But the people love her. They always have,” said Krispyn, “They cheer whenever she rides out of the palace grounds.  They thank her for her charity.  They whisper whenever she gives her horse to a poor man and walks beside him.  And they admire her for giving a small boy a home.”

 “The council admires her as well.  And no doubt her episode in the market today will earn her their favor.”

 Krispyn pondered Shelwyk’s statement.  Silence ensued as thoughts of the past, the present, and the future percolated through his mind.

 “I will hear no more of this,” Krispyn said, “I will meet the council in three months’ time.  They will do as they will and I will accept their decision.  For now I must address Pras’quel’s grievances.”

 “Pras’quel insists that you send an envoy to them,” said Shelwyk.

 “And whom would I send?”

 “Your sister could go.”

 “Nylana?”

 “You said yourself that her selflessness is well-known.  She befriends everyone and has a way with earning people’s respect,” said Shelwyk.  “I am sure the King of Pras’quel would appreciate it if you sent your sister to meet with him instead of some lowly ambassador.”

 “You could be right.  Sending her to meet with him could be the solution I have been looking for.  I will speak with her in the morning.  Thank you, Shelwyk.”

 “Always a pleasure, my lord.”  Shelwyk bowed out of the room, leaving Krispyn alone with his musings.

 Nylana’s footsteps echoed through the palace halls as she walked briskly to Krispyn’s room.  The messenger said it was urgent he see her.  She wasted no time in opening the giant doors and entering the room.  “You sent for me, brother.”

 “Nylana,” said Krispyn rising from his desk.  “Please, come in.  As you know Pras’quel has refused to sign the treaty I sent.  Instead they wish to renegotiate the terms.  I haven’t the time, or the desire to negotiate with them.”

 “We have been more than fair,” said Nylana, “They have no reason for reneging on their promise.”

 “My thoughts exactly.  I know that the king of Pras’quel will not meet with an ambassador, but he may meet with you.”

 “Me?”

 “I cannot leave at the moment to go.  There is much that must be done here.  But you are in a good position to go in my stead,” said Krispyn.  “As my sister, he will speak with you.”

 “Krispyn, I really don’t think—”

 “I need someone I can trust to go.  The treaty must be signed.”

 “Is there no other you can send?”

 “No.”

 “Then I will go.”

 “Excellent,” said Krispyn, “You will leave in two days.”

 As Nylana left, a dark, cloaked figure watched from behind a drapery.  Perfect, he thought, it is all falling into place.

 Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!