Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)

Note: This is the 38th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter VI

Night's Farewell

"What is this place?" asked Tami as she looked upward, staring at the cliff face and the homes that were built into it.  Dark holes dotted the rock wall as narrow steps led to each one.

"I assume cliff dwellers used to live here," answered Narúl as he climbed up one of the narrow stairs.  "I found this place long ago.  It is a good spot to stop and rest."  He held his hand out for Tami who took it allowing him to help her up.

Tami eyed the ruined cliff dwellings.  "How long has it been abandoned?"

"Hard to say.  There was no life here when I found it.  It is just as barren each time I pass through here."

He clambered up a couple more levels having to assist Tami each time.

"How far up are we going?" asked Tami.

"To the top."

Tami almost fainted when Narúl's answer registered.  There were at least seven more levels to climb.  Narúl caught her as she leaned precariously close to the edge.  "Must it be so high?"

"Afraid of heights?"

"No," spat Tami as she climbed higher; her face getting paler with each step.

Chuckling to himself, Narúl lifted the girl over the last edge.  He brushed the cobwebs away as he stepped through a dark opening and into the vacant interior.  He found a discarded table cloth and hung it like a curtain covering the entrance.  He lit a small fire; enough to warm them, but not too big so as to attract attention.  Noticing Tami's shivering form, Narúl wrapped his cloak around her shoulders.

"Even in the warm season, the mountains can get cold," he said.

"How much farther?"

"Maybe a day's walk," said Narúl.

"Tell me about your home," said Tami.

"This is my home," Narúl replied.

Tami glared at him.  He knew what she meant.

"I come from a place far across the sea.  It is filled with coarse sand.  A man can wander for days before finding water.

"I was captured by a neighboring tribe that sold me to a trader.  Later, I was brought to a strange land where once again I was sold before ending up here.  And you know the rest."

"But why remain here?" asked Tami.  "Why didn't you ever return to your home?"

"This is my home now," repeated Narúl.  "My sons would be grown now.  For me to return would bring shame upon my family.  I will never do that.

"When a man is taken captive it is considered the gravest of dishonors.  My wife would have mourned my passing long ago.  For her sake, it is best if I do not return."

"Doesn't seem fair," muttered Tami.

"Our ways seem strange to you."

"I just don't understand how returning to your homeland would take away your honor," said Tami.

"And what honor would I gain by forsaking my oath to my lady?"

Tami didn't answer.

"I will meet them again, even if it is not in this life."