Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)

Note: This is the 45h chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter XIII

Meeting the Enemy

 Nylana's knees throbbed from being dragged across the rough ground and into Vasagius' tent.  The men carrying her dropped her unceremoniously before his feet.  Angrily, Nylana stood glaring at him with pure hatred.

"The Lady Nylana," said a man.

"Thank you, Stahl," replied Vasagius.  "It is customary to kneel before your master."

Nylana spat in his face. 

Vasagius wiped the spittle off of his nose and mouth before backhanding her.  He seized her roughly by the shoulder forcing her to the ground.  "I said kneel," he whispered in her ear.

Nylana did as ordered keeping her mouth shut.

"What I need from you is information," continued Vasagius, "Why are you heading to the Black Mountains?  There is nothing there, unless—of course.  It's a diversion.  No matter.  I will crush it and then destroy Norlyk.  And any other settlement along the way."

Nylana remained silent.  She scanned the area with her eyes hoping for some means of escape.

"And I know about Galdin."

Nylana's face jerked towards his.  A sneer crept across it.

"You thought I didn't know.  The Lost Prince returned to Tesnayr; found by his sister.  How poetic."  Vasagius circled around her.  "Tell me of your defenses."

"I'll die first," growled Nylana.

Vasagius nodded at Stahl.  Pain ripped through Nylana as Stahl grabbed her hair and forced her head backward.

"One way or another I get what I want," said Vasagius.  "Now tell me, why the Black Mountains?"

Nylana refused to speak.

With another nod from Vasagius, Stahl took his knife and plunged it deep within Nylana's chest.  She doubled over gasping for air.

"Perhaps, I will just serve Galdin your heart," Vasagius said.

A soft glow filled the area.  Grasping the handle of the knife, Nylana gritted her teeth and pulled it out.  Smooth flesh remained where the blade had been. 

Not believing what he had just seen, Vasagius gaped at the spectacle.  Nylana seized her chance.  She smacked Vasagius in the face before charging Stahl.  She knocked his weapon from his hands before jamming her knee into his gut.  Within moments, Nylana pinned Stahl against a post with the sharp steel of the knife against his throat.

"You have more fight than your father," said Vasagius wiping a trickle of blood from his mouth.  "Go ahead.  Kill him.  He tried to murder you, so take his life instead.  Take your revenge."

Nylana looked into the frightened eyes of Stahl who glanced between Vasagius and her.  She pressed the blade against the skin drawing a small amount of blood.

"Do it," said Vasagius.  "I know the hatred that burns within you.  He would not hesitate to kill you.  Prove to him your superiority."

The desire to end the life within her hands burned within her, but something else reigned there as well.  Fire filled her eyes as she lowered the knife.  "No.  I'm not like you."