Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)

Note: This is the 46h chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter XIV

Ambushed

 Nylana and Narúl walked into camp welcoming the sounds of hammers and whetstones.  People ceased their work to observe the two carrying a corpse.  Many bowed in Nylana's direction.  She returned their gestures. 

Galdin burst from a nearby tent running straight for her, enveloping her in a warm embrace.  Krispyn wasn't far behind.

"You need to quit disappearing on me," Galdin said with a smile.

Nylana returned the grin.  "Lord Trisk is dead."

Krispyn looked at the body in Narúl's arms.  With a wave of his hand two men took Lord Trisk's remains carrying them away.  "Come.  We've much to talk about."

She followed her brothers into a tent while Narúl went to gather food.  Lord Stefon, Lord Preston, and Lord Ardryn awaited them. 

"My lords," greeted Nylana.

"We will make our stand here," said Krispyn pointing at a map.  "We can hide in the hills and the trees here.  Lord Ardryn, you and your elves will be in the lower hills here.  Galdin will be here with a contingent of men and I shall be at the other end.  Lord Preston, you will hide in the trees here."

"If you can call them trees," muttered Lord Preston.

The others nodded knowing what he meant.  The trees in the Black Mountains resembled dead, scraggily wood that stuck vertically out of the ground.

"Lord Stefon," continued Krispyn, "You will be in the valley here with your men acting as a decoy."

"That is suicide," said Lord Stefon.

"I'll do it."  Ryk stepped out of the shadows.  No one had noticed his presence.  "I will lead a group there to lure in Vasagius."

"Very well," said Galdin before Nylana could protest.

"We will do it together," said Lord Stefon not wanting his courage to be in question.

Nylana looked around at the cul-de-sac they were in.  "If this goes poorly, we will have nowhere to retreat to."

"True," said Galdin, "Their numbers are too great for us to face on an open field."

"And where will I be?" asked Nylana.

Everyone stared at her in silence.

"Well?" urged Nylana.

"My lady," said Lord Preston, "The battlefield is no place for you."  Nylana's piercing glare made him wish he had not said that.

"Up in the highest reaches of the hills," said Galdin.  "You have remarkable skill with a bow.  Petra and Tami will be near you."

"I don't think—" began Krispyn.

"Agreed," said Nylana.

A messenger burst into the tent.  "Vasagius and his army will be here by morning."

"Thank you," said Krispyn.  "You are all dismissed.  Get the men in position."

"Before you all leave," said Nylana, "We should bury Lord Trisk.  I want it done before dusk."

"As you wish," said Krispyn.

They all filed out of the tent.  Nylana and Ryk brushed each other on their way out.  They looked into each other's eyes before Nylana broke contact and left.  A strong hand jerked Ryk back.