Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)

Note: This is the 41th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter IX

Uriel's Passing

 A black line of soldiers snaked across the Azul Plains as they followed Shelwyk to Hemíl.  He traveled at the head of the party carrying out the orders of his king.  His black cloak flapped behind him as he rode erect, his face a mask of callousness.

"Where were you two nights ago while we camped?" asked Petra as he rode beside Shelwyk.

"No place that concerns you," said Shelwyk.  He kicked his horse and galloped ahead away from the wizard's inquisitiveness.

The clinking and clanking of metal trailed behind as the soldiers marched.  Despite their attempts to hide it, fear plagued them.  They too had heard the tales of Vasagius and the savages he led.  None noticed the shadows that followed them: a boy and his friend.

 *                  *                  *

 A black form caught Nylana's attention as she walked with the group to Norlyk.  Recognizing it, she bolted for it; her feet pounding the earth as she ran. 

Ryk tore off after her.  "Nylana!"

Heavy, ragged gasps filled Nylana's ears when she reached it.  "Uriel," she said.

"Hello, little runt," wheezed Uriel.  "I thought you'd come this way."

Nylana noticed the gashes in the dragon's side.  Holes dotted his wings despite his attempt to hide them.  Gently, she touched one of the wounds wincing as the sticky blood oozed over her hand.

"It is just a scratch," said Uriel.

"Don't lie to me," said Nylana, "I can heal you."

"No!"  Uriel lifted his head so he could look directly into Nylana's eyes.  "There is little of me left.  Save your strength.  You will need it before the end."

"But—"

"No."

Nylana backed away bowing toward the dragon.

"Do not weep for me, little one," said Uriel, "I am an old dragon.  Now listen carefully.  The barbarians march for you.  They plan to take Norlyk and if they do, all will be lost.

"Head for the Black Mountains.  Those peaks are treacherous to all, but for you they may prove useful."

"But—"

"Listen!"  A fit of coughing racked Uriel's body as he struggled to remain conscious a while longer.  "The dragons.  There are some in the Black Mountains.  A wizard can get you there without delay.  Convince them to help you.  Though you may find that you already have one ally there."

Uriel's breathing grew shorter and more labored.

"What if they choose to harm me?" asked Nylana choking back her tears.

"They cannot for the same reason that I could never hurt you.  The power that dwells within you must be obeyed for it belongs to one far mightier than I.

"Now go.  Do as I have said."

Gently, Nylana touched Uriel's snout as the last bit of air escaped his lungs.  Slowly, his body turned to marble before transforming into dust.  Swirls of it rose into the air carried by the breeze that wept for his passing.