Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)

Note: This is the 9th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter IX

 Freed

The chains holding Narúl clanked with each movement he made as the guards brought him before the judge.  He stood erect, his mouth clenched shut.

“Name?” said the judge.

Narúl said nothing.

“Very well,” the judge continued in a drawn voice, “You have been charged with theft and the intent to harm one of our most respected men.  How do you plead?”

Still, Narúl remained silent.  He surveyed his surroundings noting where the guards stood and the exits.

The judge eyed Narúl for a moment.  “You are hereby pronounced guilty and will be executed in the morning.  Take him away.”

Two guards clasped Narúl’s arms and led him out of the courtroom.

“Next!” called the judge behind them.

Once in the hallway and away from the others, Narúl made his move.  He wrapped the chain around one of the guard’s neck choking him.  Instantly, he swung the man around ramming him into the other guard.  Narúl dropped the first man.  He quickly snatched the sword from the other while bringing his elbow to the man’s neck.  Making certain the two guards had been subdued; Narúl took the keys and undid his chains.

He sped down the corridor and past the cells; his feet barely making a sound on the stone floor.

“Please,” a prisoner’s voice stopped Narúl.  “Please, do not leave me here to rot like the others.”

Narúl studied the man a moment before tossing him the keys.

“Thank you,” said the man.  “Hey!  I know why you are here.  There is a witch that lives east of here.  Follow the main road.  It will take you straight there.  She can tell you what you need to know.”

“Why are you telling me this?” asked Narúl.

“Let’s just say, I no longer owe you one.  But be careful to not insult her.”

Narúl nodded at the man in gratitude before darting off.  He snatched a cloak from the wall, wrapped it around himself, and bolted out the door where he mingled with the crowd and disappeared.

*                  *                  *

Nylana handled the tray of food with care as she carried it from the kitchen to the dining hall.  Expertly, she steered her way through the mess of servants scurrying about to keep up with the guests’ needs.  The aromas of fine food tickled her nose causing her stomach to grumble; another reminder that she had not eaten since breakfast.  Even that was a meager meal.

Though tempted to snitch a bit of the juicy, roast beef, Nylana contained herself.  She knew what would become of her if she gave in to her impulse.  Somehow, Mr. Gorganof always knew when a servant snitched from his plate of food.

Nylana placed the tray on the table between two disgustingly fat guests.  Their fine clothes did little to mask their ugliness as each heaped a pile of the beef onto their gold plates.  Nylana ignored their grotesqueness.

The clinking of a glass caught her attention.  A guest was thirsty.  Docilely, Nylana grabbed a pitcher of water and took the woman’s glass.  She filled it to the brim and carefully placed it back on the table.  Any messes were automatically considered her fault.