Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)

Note: This is the 30th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Chapter XI

A Meeting with Lord Belznyc

 "So how are we to get in?" asked Ryk as he looked around at what he thought was supposed to be the city of D'aar, "This doesn't look like a city."

"It's underground," said Nylana.

"But where is the opening?" demanded Ryk.

"Here," Nylana pointed at the arch standing in the middle of nowhere.

"So how do you make the opening appear?" said Ryk, "Knock?"

"Do you always ask so many questions?" snapped Galdin.

"I was just wondering," mumbled Ryk.

Nylana did not know how to open the doorway to the dwarf city.  She did not know the words.  Those were only handed down to dwarves.  She studied the arch pondering what to do.

"I thought you knew the way in," said Tami.

"Normally," said Nylana, "When I met with the dwarves one was here to greet me, or they traveled to Norlyk."  Thinking about Ryk's words, Nylana figured she had nothing to lose by knocking.  She raised her fist and rapped on the structure as loud as she could.

The ground rumbled beneath her feet as it shook.  Nylana stepped away from the opening that appeared in the ground forming into a stairwell, amazed that Ryk's suggestion proved useful.

"It worked," said Ryk with disbelief.

Nylana cautiously entered the underground opening with the others close behind.  "Be on your guard," she said, "The dwarves do not like it when strangers discover their secrets."

Narúl lit a torch and walked beside Nylana.  Ryk grabbed another torch and stepped beside Nylana as well only to be seized by Galdin and pushed to the back.

"Nice try," said Artryl as he passed by.

The darkened tunnel made their way difficult despite the torches that Narúl and Ryk carried.  Nylana noted the decay and erosion from neglect.  She hoped that the center of the city would be far better maintained.  Soft echoes of their steps surrounded them as they moved quickly hoping that their journey would not be in vain.  Artryl patted Trog on the head to quiet him as he whined.

"Whoa," said Ryk when they reached the end of the passageway.  It opened into a vast expanse of courtyards with roaring fires and stone buildings connected by aqueducts.

"That is—" began Ryk.

"—magnificent," finished Galdin.  He gawked at the underground city.  Plants made from precious gems dotted the courtyard they entered as they trekked across the black marble.  Immediately, dwarves armed with weapons surrounded them stopping their advance.

Nylana raised her hand.  "We come peaceably."

"Give us your weapons," said one of the dwarves.

"No," said Galdin.

"Galdin—" began Nylana.

Galdin cut her off.  "We will not relinquish our weapons," he said, "We come in peace and wish only to speak with Lord Belznyc."

"No one speaks to Lord Belznyc unless they first relinquish their swords," said the same dwarf.

"Do you insist that the Lady Nylana give up her armed guard just to speak with Lord Belznyc?" continued Galdin.