Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)

Note: This is the 7th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter VII

Missing

"My lord," said a messenger as he walked briskly into the throne room toward Krispyn. "The ship has not returned. There is no sign of Lady Nylana. The King of Pras'quel refuses any inquiry."

"How can this be?" demanded Krispyn. "Where is she? She was supposed to have returned by now."

"No one knows, sir," replied the messenger, "It is well-known that slavers attack carriages and kidnap those in them. Her carriage was found abandoned. Everyone was dead but her."

"I want her found."

"My lord, the chances of her being alive is very slim. Slaves do not live long in Pras'quel. And the chances of finding her are equally slim. Your sister is gone. I am sorry."

Krispyn squeezed the quill in his hand so tight that it snapped in half. "I promised her it would be a quick errand. That she would be home before she knew it. Now because of me she is likely dead."

"I am sorry, my lord. We all mourn for your loss. But she did manage to get the treaty signed. Another messenger arrived with this." The man handed Krispyn a folded piece of parchment. He took it, read it, and placed it on the table. "Small comfort," he muttered.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing. I shall have to make the dismal announcement soon. Make sure all the arrangements are made."

"Yes, my lord." The messenger turned and left.

Silently, a tannish-brown cat trailed behind.

* * *

Artryl parried his weapon attacking the mounted dummy profusely. He struck it clunking the wooden stake that held the dummy. Practicing every move that Narúl had taught him, Artryl marveled at how his muscles began to instinctively follow his movements.

"Artryl!" One of the other boys ran up to him. "What are you doing out here?"

"Practicing," answered Artryl as though it should have been obvious.

"Haven't you heard?" asked the boy.

Artryl stopped his practice session and stared at the other boy. "Heard what?"

"The princess' ship has gone missing."

"What? What does the king plan to do?"

The boy shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing I suppose. He has not issued any orders. Anyway, all studies have been suspended in memoriam of the princess. You should get back to the barracks before the sergeant notices you are missing."

The boy ran off. Artryl stood poised with his wooden sword hanging in midair. Princess Nylana missing, he thought to himself, and Narúl is searching for her alone.

* * *

Petra somberly looked out the frosted window at the city streets below as a throng of people slowly moved on past. They sang a melancholy dirge as they carried their candles. He choked back a tickle in the back of his throat before he allowed himself to weep.

A portrait of Nylana when she was only nine hung in the room. Staring at it, Petra allowed himself to remember a time when he pretended to pull a coin from her ear. He chuckled as he remembered her laughter. So much pain for one small child.

A note appeared by his hand. Cautiously, Petra opened it and read it.

Find the book with the phoenix. Libraries are a good place to start.

Petra furrowed his brow. What nonsense. He crumpled the note and started to toss it away, but stopped. Glancing at it again, he decided it best to keep it.

"I guess I have some business in the library," he muttered to himself.

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!