Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)

Note: This is the 6th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter VI

From Princess to Slave

Stealthily, Nylana and her party moved through the castle carefully avoiding armed guards. Their light steps barely echoed on the ragged stone floor. Her skirts rustled as Nylana swept through the maze with her companions.

The sergeant stopped them. Peering around a corner, she noticed a man standing guard in one of the parlors. Cursing silently, Nylana knew they hadn't time to turn back. The sergeant tapped the point of his sword against the wall. The guard turned around. Curious, he stepped toward them. Quickly, the sergeant slammed the hilt of his sword into the man's head rendering him unconscious.

"Come on," he said.

Wasting no time, Nylana and her party hurried past into another corridor that led to the outside. They scurried through the hallway past paintings and tables. At last, cool air greeted them as they reached the exit.

The carriage awaited them as Nylana and her maid climbed inside. The sergeant shut the door and jumped into the driver's seat. The reins cracked as he whipped them and the horses sped off. Only their hooves and the wheels of the carriage penetrated the night's silence as they charged through the open gates.

The coach raced down the open road bouncing and jolting violently as it sped away in their desperate attempt to escape. Nylana held tightly to the sides of the interior to maintain her balance. Her maid's frightened expression prompted her to say something.

"We'll be alright. We'll make the boat."

Nylana had spoken too soon. Suddenly, the carriage screeched to a halt propelling her forward. Nylana bumped her head on the side of the coach as it skidded.

The door ripped open. "My lady, you need to leave!" The sergeant yanked her from the carriage. "Now, my lady!"

Whirling around, Nylana noticed a tree lying in the middle of the road. Ominous cries rose around her as men in tattered clothes burst from behind the trees.

"Run, my lady!"

Screams filled her ears as her maid was grabbed and thrust to the ground. The sergeant pulled out his sword blocking an attack.

Nylana ran. She darted into the forest delving deep inside. Hoisting her skirts, she ran as fast as she could over the uneven ground. Her breaths came in ragged gasps from the exertion. Crunching footsteps alerted her to her pursuers. A twig snagged her dress. Desperately, Nylana yanked it free ignoring the loud rip.

Aimlessly, she ran. She hoped her pursuers would eventually tire of the chase. Deep down, Nylana knew that she was the prize they were after. Her feet pounded the mushy earth as she fled.

Twigs snapped all around her. An arrow crashed in a tree next to her. Glancing at it for a second, Nylana noticed men approaching from the side. She veered to her left and then made a sharp turn to the right. Her movements bought her time, but did little to shake her attackers.

A great weight crashed into her. Nylana gasped loudly as the air was knocked from her lungs. She squirmed violently to get away, kicking and screaming. Leaves and brush flew everywhere from her desperate movements. Strong hands grabbed her arms wrenching them behind her back. Rope cut into her flesh as it was roughly wound around her wrists.

A moment of dizziness struck Nylana as a man hauled her to her feet.

"Let me go," she screamed.