Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)

Note: This is the 42th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter X

Passing of Beasts

The small boat rocked as Ryk and Nylana paddled up the river with Petra seated on the bow directing their movements.  Their muscles burned with each stroke as they moved against the current. 

"How much farther?" asked Ryk.  "We've been rowing for the last four hours."  He wiped the sweat from his face.

"There is a hidden cove along the river that we must reach," said Petra.

"Hidden cove?" said Ryk, "If it's hidden, how do you know where it is?"

"Because such is the way of wizards," said Magi crawling out from underneath a tarp.

"Magi!"  Nylana stared at the cat with surprise. She had ordered her not to come.  "I thought I left you behind."

"You did," said Magi, "But I chose to ignore you."

"Typical," muttered Petra.

"Well, come on, put your backs into it," said Magi to both Ryk and Nylana.

Ryk raised his paddle out of the water contemplating smacking the cat.  A disapproving look from Nylana changed his mind.  He placed it back into the water propelling the boat forward.

Gradually, they glided up the river against the strong current.  As the sun arced higher in the sky, their tired arms strained to continue rowing.  The purple shaded water lapped at the hull of the boat taunting them.

"Why is the water purple?" asked Ryk.

"No one knows," answered Nylana, "But it is the reason why this river is called the Amythest River."

"Steer to the right," said Petra.

Ryk and Nylana obeyed, guiding the boat to where two willow trees formed an archway over the water.  They moved through the leaves out of the sunlight and into a dark, enclosed area where a pool of water rested.  They pulled their oars out of the water as the boat grated across the sand beaching itself.

"Quickly," urged Petra.

They grabbed their things and moved further ashore.  Magi settled in Nylana's pack.

"What is he doing?" Ryk asked as Petra gathered leaves from the willow tree.

Nylana shrugged her shoulders.

"Stand close together," said Petra.

The others obeyed.

"Petra," said Nylana, "What is all this about?"

"This place is well hidden," said Petra, "And we do not need prying eyes watching us."

"And where did you get that?"

Petra glanced at the parchment he held; the one Quesha had given him.  "From an old friend.  Now, hush."

Petra tossed the leaves into the air as he muttered the four words on the slip of paper.  His mutterings started soft gradually building in intensity.  The air enclosed around them growing thick and heavy. Nylana pulled at the collar of her cloak.  Wind blew around them as a bubble formed enveloping the four of them.  Then, they were gone and all had stilled.

High within the Black Mountains three people and one cat appeared out of thin air.  They stood on a small patch of black moss where the snow had melted.  Each gasped for air relishing the crisp mountain breeze.